Maine-Anjou or Braunvieh?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kevin sisson

Reaction score
Hello I run about 70 brood cows and would like to increase my weaning weight. My cows are black angus, sim., herford, limo., white park, pinz., and some mixes. My question is which should I use Maine bulls or Braunvieh bulls? I usually keep 5 replacement hiefers a year. The last 2 years I have been using black sim. and red short horn bulls, just not the weight gain I would like. Thanks to all that reply.

Kevin sisson":1gw7tyvd said:
Hello I run about 70 brood cows and would like to increase my weaning weight. My cows are black angus, sim., herford, limo., white park, pinz., and some mixes. My question is which should I use Maine bulls or Braunvieh bulls? I usually keep 5 replacement hiefers a year. The last 2 years I have been using black sim. and red short horn bulls, just not the weight gain I would like. Thanks to all that reply.
Do a "Search" for both breed associations, and read all the material they have on each breed. Then you will have information to help you make an intelligent decision. Inquire of the Breed associations as to some breeder in your area and go look at their program and cattle. Check the EPD's for weaning weight and lean toward low Birth Weight also. Good luck.

if your going for a few replacements go with a black braunvieh bull. Maines get a little big for replacements and braunvieh's are known for udder quality.

Kevin sisson":7sqx80e4 said:

I can think ofseveral good reasons to go with a Purebred Black Maine-Anjou bull.
1. Maines do very well in cold, bad weather.
2. A+ for Disposition.
3. Increase muscle and bone mass.
4. Replacements? Excellent mothers, terrific milk production.
5. Half-Blood Maine steers bring premium at commercial auction.
6. " " " bulls in high demand.

The only negative is that the AMAA only has record of EPDs for about 10 years. Many Acc. don't have much history. :roll:

Stocker Steve":2gm8sgh4 said:
How did the breed get to be so good without EPDs?
In the same manner and for the same reasons that every other species and breed improved before it was apparent that some method of assimilating and recording traits and values was imperative for the exponential acceleration of those traits and values! Trial and error! Lots of error! The Beef breeds (for example) have improved their functionality and quality characteristics to a higher level in the past 30+ years than in ALL the years preceeding genotypical awareness. EPD's have ALWAYS been present - human's just didn't recognize what they were or how to PRAGMATICALLY utilize their power.- - - - -some STILL don't! :(

To answer the original question on this post - my choice would be Maine-Anjou.

Stocker Steve":1zbp6bp2 said:

Doc Harris said it well. But, I still believe that EPDs are only as good as the ethics of the breeder doing the reporting. Do they ever record a 110lb. birthweight? Look at how many use dairy cattle for nurse cows in beef herds. What good are those weaning weights? I'll take phenotype over genotype (EPDs) any day. ;-)

AAOK":48yq5m53 said:
Stocker Steve":48yq5m53 said:

Doc Harris said it well. But, I still believe that EPDs are only as good as the ethics of the breeder doing the reporting. Do they ever record a 110lb. birthweight? Look at how many use dairy cattle for nurse cows in beef herds. What good are those weaning weights? I'll take phenotype over genotype (EPDs) any day. ;-)
An intelligent BLEND of ALL sources of information would be desirable!

Latest posts