Maine Anjou help

Help Support CattleToday:

okiek

Reaction score
Got to my south place yesterday and found a yearling, horned, black Maine bull in with my commercial Red Angus heifers. He's back where he belongs now but we think he had been with my heifers 3 days. Let's assume for argument he bred several. I know nothing about Maines except what I've seen in show rings. I realize each individual will have differing EPD's. This is a commercial youngster and all they knew was, "His daddy had small calves." As a whole, how worried would those of you who know the breed be about this pairing come calving time?

Right now my only option for Lutalyse would be a dart gun. I'd have to shoot all 12 heifers (And buy a dart gun) and I'm just trying to decide if I really should. My herd is 100% commercial, so other than uniformity I don't lose anything, and actually gain heterosis. Calving problems would be the only reason for me to dart every heifer.

Other than calving in January you don't have a problem. Chances are if he did breed any as a yearling he would probably
concentrate on very few in 3 days. You can sell them when they get close or make lemonade. Good Luck

I was thinking of buying a Maine bull to put on some heifers. I only shopped at the one breeder but if I remember right it was hard to find one w a BW I liked, they tended to be a little on the heavier side. Breeder was confident using them on heifers but he was trying to sell me something. That said I'd likely take the chance and calve them, it's probably only a couple and it'll probably be ok but that's a dice roll for sure. We watch ours close at calving and are there to help if needed.

I know nothing about Maines, but being that they are a continental breed and one that probably isn't as as populous as other breeds the availability of specific individuals for certain traits like calving ease is less likely. My thinking is that there was likely at least one in heat when he came over. Being that he could have been in several days makes it unlikely to know which could be bred. There is some cause for concern about the heifer calving due to sire breed and the crossbreeding effect also on birthweight. I prefer to use same breeds for heifers but if you know the time period to watch for calves and can have them where you can frequently check them then even if you have to assist there is a good chance it will turn out ok.

When are you planning on turning the bull in with the hfrs? I would not want hfrs bred to any bull that I didn't know his potential calving ease.
I'd build a pen and Lut them.

My bull is slated to go in with them Friday. These heifers are Feb and March 2020 heifers and average 800lb. They will calve at the house and will be watched very close. I just don't know what the CED and BW tendencies are for Maine cattle.

If they were mine and they were where I would be close to be watching them, I'd leave well enough alone, and let them calve. If it were a big simmental, I would worry a bit more, but not so much with a Maine. Have bred a few AI over the years and have not had any real big calves....I honestly worry more about a hereford on heifers because I have had some problems with the blocky head and shoulders of the hereford. The heifers sound like they have good growth, and ought to weigh 1,000+ at calving so .... But, they aren't mine.....

I agree with farmerJan, if they were mine I wouldn't do anything now then at calving time I'd watch them super close around the approximate due date from when the bull was in their. This winter, we calved out some heifers bred to a Hereford bull that was sold as a heifer bull but come to find out he was a result of a fire and ice mating and took more after the higher BW cow. We calved 7 heifers and had to assist 3. A point of interest was that the heifers that were Hereford or high percentage Hereford calved easier and had smaller calves than the others which points me to think the hybrid vigor played a significant role.
Most will not agree with me on this but I am not a fan of using Lutalyse and trying to manipulate cycles. It can work when used very early to abort but I've had mixed results and don't try it in our cattle much at all now.

If it's a registered, high percentage Maine, you may luck out an have some really nice calves. On the other hand, Maines are usually clubby bred, meaning they are papered mutts designed for the show ring. The vast majority of clubbies are NOT calving ease and will throw some cow-killing offspring. They are also more often than not, known carriers (TH, PHA mostly). If your herd is not known to be defect free, that's an added risk.

Latest posts