Mail

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
When I saw that the US Postal Service is considering cutting back on their mail delivery, I started looking at how many pieces of mail I send through them and I was surprised. Other than the NETFLIX movies, I probably don't mail six pieces of mail a month. A few years ago I started putting everything on the credit card. So about the only thing I mail every month are the credit card bill and the electric bill (the electrical co-op doesn't do credit cards). I can see that if lots of people did that, it would really hurt their business. Are you using the mail less than you were a few years ago?

To start with I'm a mail contractor so here is a little insider.The post office has been raising postage for however long because of email, direct deposit,UPS ,Fedex,and a number of other reasons the biggest being poor managment.Going in the hole and still giving bonuses is not a very good thing.(remind you of anything) There is also talk of getting rid of any workers with less than 12years.They have dug a hole to either crawl out of or start throwing the dirt.

I get an incredible amount of mail for my parents. They get a statement from their medicare supplement every time they go to a doctor and it isn't even a bill. Between that, and all the mail they get from Secure Horizons and offers and other crap, they get easily five times more mail than I do. No wonder Dad was confused. I get stuff that I know we cancelled for Dad months ago. It goes in the trash or on the fire. I save up the stuff from the supplement folks and look at it every week or so. None of it is bills. In fact, they are getting money back these days from the Phamerica people because Medicaid is paying for most of that now. Makes me nuts. I keep their lights, water and gas on at their house. I am going to sell it here pretty soon. I need to get over there and start cleaning it up. A chore I dread.

I pay most of the bills either online or on the phone. I mail the car payment and the mortgage. I don't use the mail nearly as often. My parents things keep the PO box full though.

Seems like the USPS could do an early retirement thing like GM did a few years ago. I know plenty of old geezers at the post office who need to go on with their lives.

I heard that postage was going up again. Is that true?

I heard they have offered early retirement but they are not giving a reason to.I'f you have 2yr's to reach full they are taking a % off then when you hit full you don't get it back.Why would you do that when the work is so easy?I could stand on my head for 2yr's for the money lost. Don't know about postage but would not surprise me.

Rusty, what happens to you contractors if they cut back to a five day delivery schedule?

Don't really know yet.The mail has to move even if offices are closed.We are treated like mushrooms left in the dark and fed crap.Guess i'll find out when it happens.

Lammie":26ckwip3 said:
I get an incredible amount of mail for my parents. They get a statement from their medicare supplement every time they go to a doctor and it isn't even a bill. Between that, and all the mail they get from Secure Horizons and offers and other crap, they get easily five times more mail than I do. No wonder Dad was confused. I get stuff that I know we cancelled for Dad months ago. It goes in the trash or on the fire. I save up the stuff from the supplement folks and look at it every week or so. None of it is bills. In fact, they are getting money back these days from the Phamerica people because Medicaid is paying for most of that now. Makes me nuts. I keep their lights, water and gas on at their house. I am going to sell it here pretty soon. I need to get over there and start cleaning it up. A chore I dread.

I pay most of the bills either online or on the phone. I mail the car payment and the mortgage. I don't use the mail nearly as often. My parents things keep the PO box full though.

Seems like the USPS could do an early retirement thing like GM did a few years ago. I know plenty of old geezers at the post office who need to go on with their lives.

I heard that postage was going up again. Is that true?

Have no mortgage payment(own house free and clear land to) Only reason I have car payment is 0 percent interest and ive never been late so it stays zero percent interest. It gets paid online, the cable, internet, and phone are all on one bill which I pay online, Only thing I mail is water bill, and electric bill as they dont have a way to pay online. Also loan payment on stock trailer gets paid yearly online. I also mail the credit card bill in other than that I rarely mail anything. Plus sending a check on the farm account for the water and the electric gets me a tax write off and leaves a paper trail.

I can pay anything I want to pay on line.

My bank lets me add the biller and set the amount and they send the check. I pay the hay man and the vet and tractor repair and select sires...anything I want to enter.

Only check i write is to the farrier because we are both standing there. going to ask if I can begin to pay on line. Have the farrier out evey four weeks and do half the herd at a pop so the bill is regular.

Sensible thing to do would be to cut back to every other day mail delivery everywhere.
I would still get my bills and such and I don't think it would be a great inconvenince. I get all my knowledge from the computer now anyway.

rusty":36f7sd4i said:
To start with I'm a mail contractor so here is a little insider.The post office has been raising postage for however long because of email, direct deposit,UPS ,Fedex,and a number of other reasons the biggest being poor managment.Going in the hole and still giving bonuses is not a very good thing.(remind you of anything) There is also talk of getting rid of any workers with less than 12years.They have dug a hole to either crawl out of or start throwing the dirt.

5 Day per week mail delivery won't happen. Who gets a bonus in the PO dept?? They are losing money but are not a "for profit" entity. Breaking even would be nice tho. :)

rusty":2q6obodv said:
Don't really know yet.The mail has to move even if offices are closed.We are treated like mushrooms left in the dark and fed crap.Guess i'll find out when it happens.

If you're a contractor then you bid what you'll work for.......Right?? No benefits, no nada...just deliver the mail for whatever amount you bid to get the job?

I was a employee for Canada Post. I worked for them for about 2-3 years, in that time I even noticed that the amount of mail decreased. I ended up quiting last spring because my hour kept getting cut and also the post master was a total jerk (have a better word for him but can't use it on here)

As for me using the mail, I don't use it as much as I used too. I pay all my payments at the bank, the only thing I use it for is farm related stuff, my magazines and odd ebay items.

This may be a stupid question but it's never stopped me before so.. ;-)

When they say they want to change it to a 5 day deliver service does that mean at this time you get 7 day a week mail delivery, even Sats and Suns ??? :?

hillsdown":1ad04c3f said:
This may be a stupid question but it's never stopped me before so.. ;-)

When they say they want to change it to a 5 day deliver service does that mean at this time you get 7 day a week mail delivery, even Sats and Suns ??? :?

No

Monday-Saturday

They want to cut it to Monday-Friday.

We have a little rural mail carrier that is a blonde girl of about 25 and is beautiful. Her name is Amanda. She is as nice as can be ;-)

Really, I always thought it was only 5 days a week like here in Canada. Guess thats what you get when you have some one teach you that don't know what they are talking about. Curse you Post Master!

We just got 5 day delivery last year; it was Mon, Weds and Fridays before that. Sometimes we got delivery once a week if we were lucky as if there was a holiday on a Wed. and the weather was crappy on Friday she wouldn't deliver until the next Monday.. :roll:

we have a contract carrier that needs his contract pulled!
I have always dealt with contract carriers and this is the first one I have ever had that is totally worthless we have even complained to the postmaster and he says there is nothing he can do because of him being contract which I have been told by another postmaster that the first one is full of crap
he delivers our mail when he feels like it I have put mail in the box and raised the flag and it has sat there for 3 daysbecause he doesn't feel like coming down our road
the only day I am sure he comes is on Thursday because that is when he has to deliver the newspaper

They want to discontinue delivery on Tuesdays. That's the lightest day for mail delivery, the postoffice says. Some concerns are for people who get their meds via the USPS and causing payments to be late, possibly resulting in higher interest rates. I can see the problem for the post office as more people pay bills online or with their credit card. I don't know the answer, but I don't think it's increasing the price of stamps. I did like the introduction of the "forever" stamp last time they raised rates though.

Haven't figured out how to do quotes yet so sorry.

TexasBred
You are corrct as a contractor I get paid xamount for milage.It's figured in the contract as so much for this and that but in the end it's per mile.
The PO has bonuses for mail accuracy with they call test letters and other things that I don't know the proper terms for but the higher level office the more they get.
The PO is a nonprofit that belongs to the goverment.That is why it's up to congress as to whether or not they can cut back to 5 days.
For those of you who don't know this the PO is working 365 days 24hrs.This 5 days open is for delivery and mailing only.I guess what I'm trying to say is your post offices will be closed and mail box carriers will not run but the P&DCs will still be running along with the trucks that supply to the postoffices.My run goes 6days my dad also does this and his goes 7days the post office isn't open Sunday but the mail still has to be moved.

Just slap a 42 cent stamp on all the junk mail ya'll have to deliver to my house and you can all get a bonus.

With our online business, we have averaged shipping 30 items a day over the past 6 years.

99% of those have been shipped via the USPS. I always hear a number of complaints about the USPS, but they have consistently done an excellent job for us. Damaged or lost items that we have had to refund or replace are at a rate of less than 1/2 of 1%.(<4 per 1000 items shipped). A fraction of percentage more might get temporarily delayed or lost, but eventually arrive.

We even have the pleasure of having generally cheerful and friendly clerks at the local PO's where we do our dropoffs. We try to show our appreciation by delivering a huge bucket of candy/goodies to each location every year just a few days before Christmas.

George

Latest posts