Mahindra tractors

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbillycwo

Reaction score
I am considering the Mahindra brand of tractor in the 65-75 horsepower range. Does any of you more experienced folks have any ideas on them? The research I have done so far indicates excellent service and 5 year warranty which appears to be pretty solid as to what it covers. The financing appears good to so far anyway. Thoughts?

If you can get local service I don;t see why it wouldn;t be a good idea. The few people I know that have them think they're about bulletproof.

Agree with dun. I had a 4500 model and it did all I asked and more. Local dealer always had what I needed to service it etc. Replaced one hydraulic hose and that was it. New advertising says they're the #1 selling tractor around but they don't make the big HP models as far as I know.

I looked at their website and they advertise the range of tractor I am looking at (in the HP that is). The thing that is so attractive for me is a new tractor not far from the price of a used one. Thanks for the advice. I am still about a year out from buying one. Wanna get my cow note paid off and refinance my farm and house once my property in VA sells and momma and my son are settled in KY permanently. Not to mention will have to get a bull soon I am thinking.

how much money are you saving? i think you will regret getting a mahindra...they are heavy and tough,and you will fight it all day long, they are not designed well for user comfort..i bought one, kept it for a few years and and gave it to my son....i haven't regretted it...jd is the best, i bought a kubota, its not as good as a jd, but miles ahead of the mahindra...

It appears from the outside looking in that I can get a new Mahindra for the price of a used JD. I like JD my brother-in-law has one and I use it alot, I also have used his NH and I like it as well but there again finding a used one that is priced right is the hard thing. I have no loyalty to any paint color. I want a functional tractor that does what I ask of it. Pull a bush hog over my steep terrain, roll and rake hay, feed hay and pull a few logs occasionally. Not to mention I need it heavy to get over my ground and maintain traction.

Whatever you do stay clear of Montana tractors. The make, not the state

Thanks Dun. I hadn't even heard of that manufacturer. I have heard nothing but good about the Mahindra. Except for the recent post of them not riding real well. But then again that 100 hp JD doesn't ride well on my farm either. HA!HA!

Functionality may be most important for now but the importance of operator comfort (maybe not that important now) will at some time be very important as time clicks on.....

Never been on a Mihandra to be able to judge one and this isn't posted to recommend one brand over another...I'm just saying what I know about comfort and riding tractors for long periods of time. Little short narrow tractors will beat you to death on smooth ground... Find one that is a good ride as well as one that matches your needs.

1982vett":w3v5jgun said:
Functionality may be most important for now but the importance of operator comfort (maybe not that important now) will at some time be very important as time clicks on.....

Never been on a Mihandra to be able to judge one and this isn't posted to recommend one brand over another...I'm just saying what I know about comfort and riding tractors for long periods of time. Little short narrow tractors will beat you to death on smooth ground... Find one that is a good ride as well as one that matches your needs.
This post makes the most sense of any on this thread. At 55 you can take a rough ride and deal with it, the same ride at 65 will beat you into the ground, at 70 you want all the comfort you can get. Most decent tractors will be still owned in 15 years so the 55 to 70 spread isn;t nearly as much as it would seem

Well guess I am still too young to appreciate that Vette and Dun. :lol2: I am only 42 so in 15 years I will still be just into yalls threshold for age...But thanks for that thought. It is definitely anitemto consider. I know that NH beats me into the ground when I rake hay but then again never raked hay that I didn't feel beat into the ground after 30 acres and 5-6 hours doing it especially in Hart county, KY. :lol2:

cwo, you'll decide in your own time when the pain vs the money debate tilts toward "less pain". You're 42, call us again when you're 50.
I have a MF 275, vintage 1977. Great tractor, as far as longevity and cost per hour of use. But that sucker will beat you to death with its short wheelbase, rocking motions and crappy seat.

I've got a 175 and a 178 Massey Ferguson both good tractors and I don't feel the wheelbase is too short but definately the seat is stiff and gives your kidneys and liver a good shake up.

Mahindra, being Indian made I thought , I wondered if the cast Iron castings are any good . The Indians (not John Wayne type) make most of the spare parts for Landrover now and the castings were a bit rough . LIke those Taiwanese drill presses and Joiners . OK were the machining was done but rough on the finishing off.

They may make rough castings but their steel for machined parts seems a bit shaky too. I had a Farmtrac, previously made in india and the parts that had length type of loads stretched and broke within a couple of months. LIttle thinkgs like the clutch linkage and brake linkage. I finally remedied it by chaning over the rods and clevis to hardware store parts and the problem went away

try to find someone who went from a JD to a Mahindra and ask them...I've been on a New Holland today and it is not a quality tractor.. seems a lot like a mahindra...bare bones....maybe thats what sells better..i've got a 9540 kubota w/cab...it's prety nice, but it does seem a little rough...(short coupled) i think the larger series are smoother riding...Will any of the dealers let you try the tractors out for a day or two ?

xbred":3uwwwgnc said:
try to find someone who went from a JD to a Mahindra and ask them...I've been on a New Holland today and it is not a quality tractor.. seems a lot like a mahindra...bare bones....maybe thats what sells better..i've got a 9540 kubota w/cab...it's prety nice, but it does seem a little rough...(short coupled) i think the larger series are smoother riding...Will any of the dealers let you try the tractors out for a day or two ?
don't know what NH you was on but NONE of mine are bare bones and they all have been good reliable tractors and as nice as my JDs

I haven't driven a Mahindra, but we totally trust the guys we buy our tractors off and they have recently gone with the Mahindra line of tractors for a smaller, cheaper tractor than the Valtra and Massey Fergusons. I trust their judgement and if anything happens to our David Brown we will probably replace him with a Mahindra.

Latest posts