Magnet

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
What do you think about giving your cattle a magnet to prevent hardware disease? I read that 'experts' concur that it's a good idea to do this around one year of age.
i have a friend who's steer just died from this- he was avery well taken care of pet, actually a riding steer.

Susie

It sure doesn;t hurt. When we fed hay that was wire tied we stuck a magnet in every calf shortly after weaning.
The good part is that if you get the good magnets, you can take it out of one when you butcher it, clean it up and pop it into another calf.

dun

how big a magnet are you talking about and whats the best way to get it in a cow

rws":10e9eiax said:
how big a magnet are you talking about and whats the best way to get it in a cow
You can get a specific magnet for this purpose at most feed stores. Use a balling gun. There shaped just like a bolus.

They range from about the size of my index finger up to the size of my thumb. I'm holding my hand up to the screen so you can see the size. The ones we have used are 1/2" or 3/4" in diameter and about 3" long. The solid steel ones are smaller in diameter, the laminated ones are bigger in diameter.

dun

Dusty Britches":2hv5nklx said:
I keep my pastures and feed clean. In fact, I'm meticulous about it and some say downright anal.

Unless you are the one that cleared the land and built all the fences and buildings, you might be surprised at what can find it's way out of the soil. You don;t know what others may have done on that land.

dun

Latest posts