magnet question

Help Support CattleToday:

Christina

Active member
Joined
Jan 28, 2004
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Location
Northern AZ
I bought a magnet for my gal. Should I attempt to get it in her or let the vet? I've never put a magnet in a cow before, so I would also need some directions. My heifer is very bonded to me, no fear issues, halter broke, but I don't know how she'd react to a magnet being shoved down her throat. I don't have a balling gun, but our vet would lend us one. Any opinions?
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
Christina":27vdpq69 said:
I bought a magnet for my gal. Should I attempt to get it in her or let the vet? I've never put a magnet in a cow before, so I would also need some directions. My heifer is very bonded to me, no fear issues, halter broke, but I don't know how she'd react to a magnet being shoved down her throat. I don't have a balling gun, but our vet would lend us one. Any opinions?
Either have a vet or someone else with some experience in doing this
to do it for you.
 

Tman

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 1, 2004
Messages
156
Reaction score
0
Location
The Alamo City
I have sat here reading quitely for a week or so and now figure I am entitled to my occasional dumb question.

What is the magnet for ???

Be nice :?
 

txag

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
1,712
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Tman":1i46u0fi said:
I have sat here reading quitely for a week or so and now figure I am entitled to my occasional dumb question.

What is the magnet for ???

Be nice :?

magnets are typically given to cattle who appear to have hardware (just like it sounds, ate something metal). the idea is the hardware will stick to the magnet.
 

txag

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
1,712
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Anonymous":16mry1m9 said:
Then once the metal has attached is the magnet retrieved endoscopically ?

usually it's just left in the cow. basically the idea is not to remove the hardware but to have it attach to the magnet to keep the it from the folds and crevices of the rumen and recticulum where it could poke holes & cause irritation.

some folks even use magnets as a prevention of hardware.
 

Tman

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 1, 2004
Messages
156
Reaction score
0
Location
The Alamo City
thanks for the info. Learn something everyday! I had heard of hardware disease but thought it was pretty much a terminal deal.
 
OP
C

Christina

Active member
Joined
Jan 28, 2004
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Location
Northern AZ
My reason for putting int he magnet is for prevention of hardware disease. Where she spends most of her time is what we call the "cow yard" about .15 of an acre. We don't keep any junk around it, but she'll chew on the goat hut sometimes. Where she grazes is in clean field. I walk through both places regularly and even drag a magnetized pole, but want to be on the safe side. Her hay is tied with poly, not wire, and I am meticulous at making sure she doesn't get into any of that. The vet said he'd lend me his balling gun or he could come do it. He said basically there is a bump at the back of their tongue that I would go over and sown into the throat. He said there'd be essentially no chance at all that I'd get it down the wrong pipe and into her lung. I haven't done it yet, so I'm open for other tips and even opinions as to whether I'd be wasting my time or if this is truly a case of an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Thanks!!!
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
If you ever see an animal suffer and die from hardware, for your own peace of mind it's worth the couple of bucks. We used to feed stuff done up with wire rather then twine and all the animals over a couple of months automatically got a magent. There used to be some solid steel ones about the diameter of my finger, I', holding it up so you can see the size, and about 3-4 inches long. When we would butrcher we'ld clean all the misc. junk off the magent and drop it into the next one that came along. There was also some that were made up of iron and plastic diks. A little bigger in diameter and the same length. They were substantially cheaper so we went with them one year. Never recoverd one that was reusable. The iron would be pretty much disolved.
Even animals in what you think is a clean environemnt will end up with some of the strangest things hanging onto the magnet. The staple that got dropped 10 years ago while a fence was being built. a broken off barb from barbed wire,etc.

dun

Christina":gn10zplz said:
My reason for putting int he magnet is for prevention of hardware disease. Where she spends most of her time is what we call the "cow yard" about .15 of an acre. We don't keep any junk around it, but she'll chew on the goat hut sometimes. Where she grazes is in clean field. I walk through both places regularly and even drag a magnetized pole, but want to be on the safe side. Her hay is tied with poly, not wire, and I am meticulous at making sure she doesn't get into any of that. The vet said he'd lend me his balling gun or he could come do it. He said basically there is a bump at the back of their tongue that I would go over and sown into the throat. He said there'd be essentially no chance at all that I'd get it down the wrong pipe and into her lung. I haven't done it yet, so I'm open for other tips and even opinions as to whether I'd be wasting my time or if this is truly a case of an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Thanks!!!
 
A

Anonymous

Thanks Dun. I plan on hobbling her legs and tie her head against the pole and using the balling gun that way. She's about 1100 pounds and I'm oly 100, so I want to be safe (not get my toes stepped on, get my face whacked with her head, etc). Since I've never done it before should I pay the $25 bucks for the vet to come out, plus the fee or do you think it should go ok. My first impression is I need to keep doing things myself as that is how I learn, and secondly do it when they are a lot smaller!!
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
Give it a try. The worst you can do is fail. If you do, call the vet and have him/her/it do the job. I had never had to tube a calf until this year. Tubed horses but never a calf. I had the vet come by, show me how and give me the confidence to do it myself. Hope I never have to do it again. Even after 40+ years we can all still learn new stuff.
Once you get the magnet it as far as the balling gun will reach, she'll swallow it when you let it go.
Doing it when they're smaller is a real good idea

dun

Anonymous":oyrnupv5 said:
Thanks Dun. I plan on hobbling her legs and tie her head against the pole and using the balling gun that way. She's about 1100 pounds and I'm oly 100, so I want to be safe (not get my toes stepped on, get my face whacked with her head, etc). Since I've never done it before should I pay the $25 bucks for the vet to come out, plus the fee or do you think it should go ok. My first impression is I need to keep doing things myself as that is how I learn, and secondly do it when they are a lot smaller!!
 

Latest posts

Top