Magnesium

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Is there a danger giving magnesium you can overdose, or is the excess expelled by the body?<br>We are having a few problems with post calving staggers and the vet advises to dust with<br>'causmag', a magnesium suppliment.I am wondering if there is a magnesium suppliment we can put in the troughs that will last a couple of days,as we both work off the farm and the cattle are shifted every 2 days.We do this with bloat treatment and it works well.<br>Does anyone have any other suggestions?<br>Thanks
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1f1pur4b said:
: Is there a danger giving magnesium you can overdose, or is the excess expelled by the body?<br>: We are having a few problems with post calving staggers and the vet advises to dust with<br>: 'causmag', a magnesium suppliment.I am wondering if there is a magnesium suppliment we can put in the troughs that will last a couple of days,as we both work off the farm and the cattle are shifted every 2 days.We do this with bloat treatment and it works well.<br>: Does anyone have any other suggestions?<br>: Thanks<p>A trace mineral supplement either in block or as a part of your TMR should be sufficient. Mg as with all minerals there is a chance of overdose but if given free choice there should not be a problem.<br>
<br>

[email protected]

<br>: : Is there a danger giving magnesium you can overdose, or is the excess expelled by the body?<br>: : We are having a few problems with post calving staggers and the vet advises to dust with<br>: : 'causmag', a magnesium suppliment.I am wondering if there is a magnesium suppliment we can put in the troughs that will last a couple of days,as we both work off the farm and the cattle are shifted every 2 days.We do this with bloat treatment and it works well.<br>: : Does anyone have any other suggestions?<br>: : Thanks<p>: A trace mineral supplement either in block or as a part of your TMR should be sufficient. Mg as with all minerals there is a chance of overdose but if given free choice there should not be a problem.<p>I agree with Mike, there is little danger using a free choice mag mineral. Mag is bitter and one reason the free choice minerals are formulated the way they are, to encourage intake, but limit over consumption. If your cattle don't like the mineral you choose, and assuming they do have a dificiency, you might consider mixing some of the mineral with something like cottonseed meal to get them to eat it the FIRST time. The cotton seed meal is a good 45% protein source which will be beneficial following calving.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts