magnesium deficiency in cow - cow down

Help Support CattleToday:

chapman

Reaction score
Looking for some help. We have an Angus cow down ( 5 yr old) Vet came out this morning gave her 2 pints of Magnesium. Said she had gotten on our oat field and that caused the problem. Ranch is in central Tx (San Saba county) Uncle at the ranch now but Vet said to put her down if she didn't get up in a couple of days. Cow is 8 months pregnant - eating and drinking good - looks good. Can't straighten her hoof out to stand up.

Never had this problem before hate to put her down.

Thanks

keep rolling her side to side and keep her dry and clean as you can, I'd at least try to get the calf born

Don't have any experience with the oat/magnesium thing, so vet may know what he's talking about (?).

I'm no vet, and I am certainly not arguing with yours. But, it seems strange to me for this cow to have this condition (basically grass tetany?) before she has her calf. Usually found in lactating cows. Possible, I suppose. No matter what it is,...I certainly wouldn't put a cow down that was eating, drinking, and looking good. If she doesn't appear to be suffering, give her every chance. She might suprise you. I've had them down for a week after giving them magnesium, one morning you wake up and they are wandering around again. If possible keep giving her some mag while she is down. Like I said, I'm no vet, Just speaking from my own experience. Keep us posted though, we all could learn something.

Not sure about the magnesium thing but nitrate poisening in cattle with oat hay occurs alot. This would be my guess at by what you described. Nitrate poisening can also cause premature birth in some instances so if she is 8 months old probably a good idea to keep an eye on her. Do they have a hip vise? Maybe use a come-along and tie a chain to a rafter and hoist her up? front or back legs? If she has been down long enough you need to get her up to get the blood going again, even if she gets better she may not be able to stand by herself because her legs are asleep. Try and ger her up somewhat so she can get some movement going of some kind. If it is nitrate poisening and she is eating and drinking then she has a good chance. Gotta get her up though.

GRASS TETANY FROM GRAZING CEREAL GRAINS --- REAL SIMPLE CURE FOR THIS -- DONT LET IT HAPPEN WITHOUT FEEDING A HIGH MG MINERAL SAY 10 - 14 %
FEED HER HAY AND CONCENTRATE REMOVE HER FROM THE PASTURE AND ADMINISTER 2 OZ OF MG OXIDE DAILY FOR A WEEK

simangus23":3tsxp8sy said:
GRASS TETANY FROM GRAZING CEREAL GRAINS --- REAL SIMPLE CURE FOR THIS -- DONT LET IT HAPPEN WITHOUT FEEDING A HIGH MG MINERAL SAY 10 - 14 %
FEED HER HAY AND CONCENTRATE REMOVE HER FROM THE PASTURE AND ADMINISTER 2 OZ OF MG OXIDE DAILY FOR A WEEK

Vet simangus23 has spoken. You should listen. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

you are coming around Tex---- this is a nice site for information as long as you get some "good info" --

or at least realistic: and do you really think this is realistic? > "keep rolling her side to side and keep her dry and clean as you can, I'd at least try to get the calf born"<<<< that's just pure silliness

Don't have any experience with the oat/magnesium thing, so vet may know what he's talking about (?).

simangus23":2qbajnxq said:
you are coming around Tex---- this is a nice site for information as long as you get some "good info" --

or at least realistic: and do you really think this is realistic? > "keep rolling her side to side and keep her dry and clean as you can, I'd at least try to get the calf born"<<<< that's just pure silliness

I'm sure you do why don't you tell us about it. :lol2: :lol2:

simangus23":3duqpt2z said:

Ok Smurfette...listen up. The cow is down. She's in ICU ... not sitting in the waiting room waiting for a You recommended Magox. Will it's too late for magox. I'm certainly no vet but I do know that when someone is in ICU you don't give them a pill and you certainly don't feed her Magox. She needs an IV's and turning her certainly won't hurt anything. At least it will keep circulation going in the back legs if nothing else.

Keep her going till you can get the calf if you can. Brother had one go down three years ago, it was a bad deal but we kept her alive for about a month and she did go into labor. We got the bull calf but of course she didn't make it. Bottle fed the little guy and he grew in to a fine bull, has some nice babies of his own on the ground now. It was a lot of work and sure hard to see her decline.

Latest posts