Maggots from dehorning calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Shariah

Reaction score
Hello,

I am desperately trying to find out what to do about some calves we have just dehorned. We normally don't have any problems and now they are infested with maggots at the wound site. We have picked the maggots out. We have been applying an insecticidal ointment and giving them shots of antibiotics. They just seem to be getting worse! If anybody has a suggestion, please share!

Clean the maggot infested area with peroxide and then spray purple/blue vet spray on wound and then load them up with fly spray a lot of fly spray. That's why it is best to not dehorn during heavy fly season if at all possible.

Some may debate the peroxide but it does kill the eggs that the flies lay.

not sure if you guys get something like this there, but this is fantastic for maggots. you just pour the powder ontop of the maggots (you can try to remove most of them first if you like but it doesnt really matter) and it kills the maggots, and prevents more from hatching, and deters flies. Magic stuff, I love it

ETA I cant find a link for it :???: but it is a diazinon based powder

HD knows as well as any other dairy person that peroxide is the way to go. Dump a half bottle in each horn and repeat if necessary. Wound spray is also good. Koppertox (green strong antiseptic) is also a good idea. Once everything is cleaned up, smother some pine tar over the holes so the flies can't get at it again. :cowboy:

A few years ago we dehorned some holsteins this time of the year , the vet told us to get an ointment called swat , it's meant for horses , we kept it on and had no problems .

Either will get the maggots out of the wound. We use starting fluid I am sure it burns. Then treat with blue spray and use ivomec wormer one backs helps keep the flies away and maggot off.

A simple way is to pour gas in the horn wound. It kills the maggots. Use a fly powder and blue spray and use gas again if needed until they heal up. Tough time to dehorn without problems right now

maggots - yuk.

I second cleaning with peroxide, then pack with Swat.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5

fu6qhh.jpg

We live on the Texas Gulf Coast and the flies are bad here. I've used Swat and it will keep the critters off of wounds.

I would be reluctant to use anything like gasoline or starter fluid. If you get it in the calf's eyes, you may blind it.

Koppertox (green strong antiseptic) is also a good idea.
in the united states, the koppertox label expressly forbids it's use on food animals.

I know yall are going to think I am crazy,, but Packing the hole after dehorning with bacon grease works in preventing maggots

Auburn_Ag":30njxmgz said:
I know yall are going to think I am crazy,, but Packing the hole after dehorning with bacon grease works in preventing maggots

Packing the wound with cotton wool dipped in Stockholm tar is about the best prevention after dehorning in winter.

Most wound oils and all gention violet based wound sprays will do the job. Sheep dip also works well.

KNERSIE":12qxg8md said:
Auburn_Ag":12qxg8md said:

Packing the wound with cotton wool dipped in Stockholm tar is about the best prevention after dehorning in winter.

Most wound oils and all gention violet based wound sprays will do the job. Sheep dip also works well.
i had too do this with a gray brahman heifer, dehorned her in the fall she kept rubbing and eratating it all the time. thought i never get her healed. was thinking of getting her a bonnett :p

Latest posts