Made the decision

Help Support CattleToday:

Spending lots of money to make better hay, have you thought about trying to eliminate hay? You're in fescue country, do you stockpile? Are your cows dry through the winter? You will never be profitable feeding hay in Alabama. PM if you would like to talk.

anewcomer said:
Spending lots of money to make better hay, have you thought about trying to eliminate hay? You're in fescue country, do you stockpile? Are your cows dry through the winter? You will never be profitable feeding hay in Alabama. PM if you would like to talk.

There are no guarantees in either direction though.

We usually wrap about 50% of our crop due to weather. I would never be without one. Makes great second cut hay and the cows love it big time.
Best to all,
Bez

We've had a wrapper for 5 years and as others mention for our operation it's hard to ponder NOT having one.

Try a few different film brands and thickness. Find a flat spot to wrap.

anewcomer said:

Why isn't it profitable to feed hay in Alabama? Legitimately curious, lots of hay gets fed in my area 6-7 months a year.

Producers in Mississippi (Alabama) feed hay 5 months out of the year. Same as Minnesota. We have no snow. We can grow green grass 365 days a year. Hay is a tremendous drain on profitability. Look up Jim Gerrish. Figure your real cost of making that hay.

365d grazing isn't always most profitable option. Feeding hay 60-90d with higher stocking rates will pay more (even after hay expense) in more years than not. Lots of variables either way.

Having something to feed in case of a drought, snowstorm, etc... you can't put a price on that.. it's like money in the bank

anewcomer said:
Producers in Mississippi (Alabama) feed hay 5 months out of the year. Same as Minnesota. We have no snow. We can grow green grass 365 days a year. Hay is a tremendous drain on profitability. Look up Jim Gerrish. Figure your real cost of making that hay.

Yeah, different environments, different economic calculations. Very little pasture available in my neck of the woods. Lots of ditch hay and cornstalks for little cost (other than time/equipment).

Green grass I think stopped growing here for the year already. haha.

anewcomer said:
You can buy hay cheaper than you can make it, 99 times out of 100.

Not too certain I agree with that one unless you are only running a couple of head.
8 foot square bales are selling for 90 - 120 bucks Canadian in my neck of the woods.
Cheers,
Bez

anewcomer said:
You can buy hay cheaper than you can make it, 99 times out of 100.

Don't quite know about that. My clover hay cost me $65/ton, and grass hay was $42/ton after all expense (including land rent), except the cost to feed it. Can't even buy a 4x5 bale of fescue for $42.

VaCowman said:
365d grazing isn't always most profitable option. Feeding hay 60-90d with higher stocking rates will pay more (even after hay expense) in more years than not. Lots of variables either way.
Do you have any figures showing this. It could very well be correct but I can't say where mine needs to be on hay for the most profits. I can't get 365 but hopefully can get 345 this winter.

Right now on one 22 acre field, my hay cost is at about $36 per bale. That is with having to pay someone to cut,rake,bale. My last cutting is on the ground now and would drop that number some.
I don't know how to figure cost per bale if I had my own equipment, but I think I could get that number down substantially. If I buy hay, it's usually 25 dollars bale, but not what I'd consider top quality hay.

Sim-ang.king, are you counting the fertilizer to replace the hay you removed? When you store and feed, are you figuring a minimum of 20% waste? Those are good numbers if all expenses are included.

Latest posts