Made a couple hog feed troughs today

Help Support CattleToday:

That is pretty neat..I have several that I cut old hot water tanks into and welded a flat piece of steel on the bottom for troughs. They work good. I like the way you bolted those together so they want turn over.

jltrent":j40qoesb said:
That is pretty neat..I have several that I cut old hot water tanks into and welded a flat piece of steel on the bottom for troughs. They work good. I like the way you bolted those together so they want turn over.

Thanks.. yea they work pretty good and the price is right :lol2: I never tried the hot water tank if I run across one I will thanks for that idea.

There were a lot of hog troughs made from a hollow log that was split in half and boards nailed on each end to keep them from turning over. Not much plastic years ago and people made do with what ever they had.

Be very careful cutting the old galvanized water tanks.The smoke from them is a poison,I was told. Those half barrels will make a great trough for a mineral feeder,too.

JW IN VA":16mo1qbg said:
Be very careful cutting the old galvanized water tanks.The smoke from them is a poison,I was told. Those half barrels will make a great trough for a mineral feeder,too.
Also never cut a metal barrel unless you know exactly what was in it. Even after being washed, they can explode or contain chemicals that when heated create poisonous gasses!

Latest posts