mad donkey

Help Support CattleToday:

9 ER

Reaction score
I was at a friends last week sit'in on the porch and enjoying a cold beverage when I looked out in his neighbors pasture and saw a donkey throwing something up in the air and then stomping on it. Thought it was a coyote and when we went to look, it was a dead newborn calf. It was cleaned up, but the momma was no where to be seen. Got the calf out the pasture and told the neighbor what we saw and he didn't know what happened. Anyone ever seen or heard of this before?

I have never heard of this before, but I think I would get rid of my donkey! I think if he did this once he will do it again. It's a good thing you seen it. They might have found it and never known what had happened. What did they say about it when you went and told them.
Greenwillows wife

Very common for a Jack Donkey to do this.If you want to run a Donkey as a guard animal with other animals use a Jenny or maybe a cut Jack IMO.

quit using donkeys when my jenny tried to steal calves.. and would kick the fire out of the momma if she tried to get close to it.

was lucky to catch it when i did. the first one she stole was a newborn before it could nurse.

a week or 2 later she tried it again with another cow.. she grew wheels.

jt

Its a good thing i read this I was thinking about getting a donkey but now that I ve read this i think maybe ill get a dog instead...

jt":3hx2aje1 said:
quit using donkeys when my jenny tried to steal calves.. and would kick the fire out of the momma if she tried to get close to it.

was lucky to catch it when i did. the first one she stole was a newborn before it could nurse.

jt
============
jt,
Have heard of a lot of folks getting good results with a donkey. Do you think your experience was unusual..or did you try more than one? We are looking for including an Alpaca or donkey. So we been asking a lot of questions.

Gale,
Thats an interesting summary of introducing a donkey to the operation. It makes sense also.

From what I have read Alpacas must be used in single form so they don't pack and leave the cows. Seems the right technique is important. I have been around a Jack while growing up...they can be mean.

Glad you read it, Preston...I think it helps to know something about the animals one is thinking about turning out with their herd. Even the miniatures are incredibly strong.

Unless someone's planning to breed donkeys, there's no point in keeping an intact jack (and then, only if it's breeding quality!). With three jacks here, only one can be trusted in with the cows (they ignore each other). I may be overly cautious, and it's difficult at times to manage pastures and pens among cows and donkeys, but I don't want any cows, calves or donkeys to be injured.

have a friend that had 2 donkeys....one was crazy, one day they got to fighting and the crazy one bit the others tail off...it was a bloody mess.....not too long after, it killed thier grandkids pet goat.
needless to say it hit the road. they still have the other one.....if it had been me they both would have went down the road.... but to each his own.

preston39":1ngv532q said:
jt":1ngv532q said:

jt
============
jt,
Have heard of a lot of folks getting good results with a donkey. Do you think your experience was unusual..or did you try more than one? We are looking for including an Alpaca or donkey. So we been asking a lot of questions.

dont know if it was just an unusual case or not, and i didnt try another one nor did i try having more than one at a time. just got rid of the donkey and havent tried them again.

hope you have better luck.

btw.. she had been with the cows about a year before this happened. things had gone well until she pulled her little stunt.

jt

Latest posts