Mad Cow (sort of)

Help Support CattleToday:

Grandpa

Reaction score
Probably the most docile cow I have has been looking like she was going to deliver any minute for about 4 days now. For 3 days she looked like it hurt her to even walk. Found her today in a mesquite thicket with the new baby. She thought I stood there (about 12 ft. away) a little too long after taking the picture and charged me. She kept coming and I realized she wasn't going to stop. Luckily, when I yelled and waved my arms she did stop about a foot from me and I got a tree between me and her. About that time baby got up and ran (yay, it's healthy) and she left to take care of him. I have had them stomp and paw and even feint like they were coming at me, but this was my first time to have one get serious about it. She will hide a few days then bring baby to the herd and be docile again. All's well that ends well.
671.jpg

I guess it was your lucky day your. You never know when it's going to be your last. I tell my wife all the time to leave them alone for a day or two when they first calve.

Seems she's doing a great mothering job protecting that new baby. In a few days she'll be back to her "laid back" self again.

TennesseeTuxedo":26xq0y8m said:
Isn't this the point in the thread where somebody comes in and says to "put some wheels" under that dangerous man killer before it's too late?

:lol2: Someone will too...

I have few cows that get overprotective of their newborn calves, they USUALLY mellow out few days later after gave birth and after that they have no behavioral problems for rest of the year. These same cows are the ones I show at the fair.

This mama cow has never done this; last year she brought her calf to the herd the next day and wasn't bothered when I came around. I walked aroud the area a while after I first looked at it then came back to snap the photo. I think I was just there too long and made her nervous. I was there mainly to make sure she and calf were ok. She could barely walk several days before birthing, and I was worried there might be something else wrong. She showed me her legs were working just fine. :lol:

I know that's not an uncommon thing. Just a first for me. She's too tentle and good a mama to put wheels under just yet.

Workinonit Farm":2lo9hpls said:
I'm glad that her legs work just fine now. Most likely that calf was putting pressure on a nerve.

That makes sense. Thanks very much.

Yes, I am glad to keep her. She's a good one and a fierce mama. I think I just worried her a little too long and her patience ran out.

rockridgecattle":h9lnaj54 said:
Don't be too suprised if she pushes the envelope just a little farther next year. Cows have a tendancy to get worse each year.
Hmm tell that one to my herd, they usually get mellowier each year.

Or tell that to my herd...
After finding myself under a cow who the previous year did the same thing as the orginal poster's cow did, I find myself a bit more picky on temperment.
does not feel to good...finding a hoof print on the butt along with many bruises from head to toe. And the only reason i can tell the story is the 3-4 feet of snow under me which broke her fall on top of me stopping the beating . Not a dog on the farm (rather protective dogs) or a hubby with a cane could stop the beating. Just me, the snow and one be nice of a cow. One that I was glad to ship.
When she first calved, gentle as a church mouse. A few years later, slightly high strung. Another year later a bit more high strung, and the following year, a slight poke which sat me on my butt, giving hubby and father in law a slight chuckle. The next year...a royal butt kicking I will never forget.
Told hubby the story....his words...if a cow had to put a tree between himself and a cow...his words not mine ..."I'd be getting my 30-30"

Sorry to heard that you have problems with your herd, however I was very glad that I do not have any problems with my herd with this kind of behavior. It could be me that keeps checking on them regularly, almost daily and I selected calm and docile heifer calves as replacements.

I have never noticed my herd changing one way or the other. However, this year, this cow has kept more to herself and less with the herd for some reason - not like in the past. Went out today (now waiting on the last calf to hit the ground), and she watched me the entire time, even while not near her baby, only moving toward him when I drove over to check all the calves. I got out of the truck (not too near the baby) just to see what her reaction would be. She walked toward me then saw I didn't have a feed bucket, so she lost interest. I have 6 babies less than a week old; all of them were together with a couple of babysitters. When I drove by, the babysitters stood up and got between me and the calves. I have good mamas, I think.

Not having a good eye for buying cattle, I have an older friend/mentor who buys them for me. My instructions are always to find gentle/low-maintenance bred cows. He has always come through. This was just different behavior for this cow, but I think I caused it. When I found the cow and baby, I took the first photo and all was well. Then I walked around the area for about 5 minutes, then back to take another photo. I think the second time was just too much for this nervous mama. Still don't know why she has not hung with the herd as much this year.

Latest posts