Mad Cow Case Confirmed - It is in Alabama

Help Support CattleToday:

Cuz-Pat

Reaction score
I felt like the breeds board was the most widely used area of this forum so that is why I chose to post this here. Forgive me if I am wrong in doing so. I just thought it was important info for people to know.

My local news channel just broke into the regular programming to hold a special news conferance. The latest possible U.S. mad cow case has been confirmed as a positive case and it is here in my home state, Alabama.

Our agriculture commisioner, Mr. Ron Sparks, our state veteranarian, the Alabama Cattleman's Association president and several other officials were at the news conferance.

The cow is reoprted to be at least 10 years old, was born before the "animal parts" feed ban, was in a herd of 40 animals, used as a brood cow and has been on the farm for one year. They said she was brought into the state a year ago. No details as to where in the state the farm was located that this cow came from or where she came from prior to here.

Sure hate to see this happen anywhere in this country again. But I am glad to see that our safety nets are working to detect these things and to keep them out of the food chain. Let's pray it blows over quickly. For all of our sakes.

Although I don;t watch alot of the TV news, I find it interesting that I haven;t seen a single story on the general news about it. It's only been in the cattle oriented stuff that I saw anything. I wonder what the big news story is that keeps the sensationalist TV press from jumping on this again.

dun

It was a local news shows teaser last night. Couldn't wait till 10:00 to see the latest. I think the story may have lasted every bit of 30 seconds, with no new info. :mad:

I'm so very sorry to hear that this cow does have BSE. I hope the public in Alabama rallies around the ranchers. I was proud of most Albertans when BSE was found here. I had never heard so many people complain if the meat they were eating was not Alberta beef. It's awful for the whole country the one good thing is the press isn't covering it much. I just went to yahoo.com and instead of having anything about the BSE case one of their top stories is "Woman grows world's heaviest mango". The mango is 5 pounds 7 oz for anyone who cares.

I saw it on the national news last night. They had no video of the sick Holstein cows that we used to see with every BSE story. They did say the cow didn't enter the food chain.

i see my postings on bse deleted here as well.
you have proven my point to the world now, thanks.

TSS

Brandonm2":3hmqj4f6 said:
Now we have Mad Cow Conspiracy theories....

Gubernatorial candidate Roy Moore thinks the mad cow might have been a plant to get mandatory animal ID passed. I have met Roy on several occasions and genuinely like the man; but this sounds a little nutty.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/i ... xml&coll=2

I made a wisecrack about that on here last week. Seems like someone else (probably trying to get re-elected) thinks it isn;t a joke.

dun

Roy is a Republican challenging the Republican incumbent, Bob Riley. Roy Moore is probably best know as the "Ten Commandments Judge" who was removed for defying a federal court order. Sadly, he either clearly knows nothing about BSE OR does but knows the electorate doesn't and he is trying to use this for his own benefit.

Latest posts