Maaco paint job

Help Support CattleToday:

tnwalkingred

Reaction score
Has anyone ever gotten a vehicle painted by Maaco? I have a farm truck that could use one. I would go back the exact same color. Don't wanna spend a ton of money on it but don't want a really junk job either.

KW

Farm truck - yeah they'd do alright
Your granddaddy's Cadillac - nope
They do an ok job. There will probably be some overspray, orange peel, and such. It will turn out better if you do some of the prep before you take the truck to them.

They have several different levels of paint quality, and probably of workmanship...

Truth about a paint job is that the painting takes very little time, and it's the prep work that matters most to the outcome of the job, and also takes the most time.

I heard at the cheapest Maaco level at least, they give the guy one sheet of sand paper and one roll of tape.. and perhaps 1 hour to use them.

I have heard of nightmares.. like the whole hood peeling off at once and sticking to the windshield, blinding the guy and causing an accident.. perhaps that's an extreme case...

I have been learning to paint (ongoing process) from my friend.. I did our tractor before I learned how, and it turned out OK.

You can get a cheap paint gun for ~$50, or a decent one for about $200. Get a good quality 2 component paint, the urethanes are pretty durable, mask and prep it yourself, and spray it.. you'll need about a 5hp compressor too

Nesikep":3rgv49vh said:
I have been learning to paint (ongoing process) from my friend.. I did our tractor before I learned how, and it turned out OK.

You can get a cheap paint gun for ~$50, or a decent one for about $200. Get a good quality 2 component paint, the urethanes are pretty durable, mask and prep it yourself, and spray it.. you'll
Nesikep":3rgv49vh said:

You can get a cheap paint gun for ~$50, or a decent one for about $200. Get a good quality 2 component paint, the urethanes are pretty durable, mask and prep it yourself, and spray it.. you'll need about a 5hp compressor too

I make a paint booth out of some tarps lol

I washed the inside of our shop out well, and it's worked well enough as a paint booth.. it's not immaculate, but apparently there have been worse jobs done in real paint booths

I had Maaco paint SIL's Suburban which was really in bad shape - lots of surface rust. They did a base coat/clear coat and it turned out OK but not as good as the paint job I did on my Nephew little Chevy PU. It was also base coat/clear coat with racing strip. Both paint jobs have lasted about three years now.

Thanks for all the replies. After reading countless reviews about Maaco I believe I will look for another source to paint the truck. Anyone know of a reputable body shop in/around Middle TN?

KW

tnwalkingred":1hn6mxd0 said:
Thanks for all the replies. After reading countless reviews about Maaco I believe I will look for another source to paint the truck. Anyone know of a reputable body shop in/around Middle TN?

KW

You may find, that many shops don't want to paint an entire vehicle. The mony for them is in wrecks. Harbour freight actually sells a gravity fed hvlp gun that works decent. You might try to paint a fender and see what happens.

dun":2gmm6tsa said:
Where's Earl Shibe when you need him?
Ol Earl's prices sure have skyrocketed since I was young.
EarlScheib.jpg

scheib.jpg

earlscheib_art_200h_20090219103603.jpg

Didn;t even know that franchise was still around. If Ol Earl was still doing the commercials he'ld be about 150 by now.

Maaco did good on my sons 78 Bronco. His truck is 78 Ranger XLT, 2 tone. We painted the base color from Maaco. He is 18 and this should hold him till he can restore it.

Undercover Boss episode of new MAACO president Venezuelan-born Jose Costa aired in prime time 1/2/2015
I think the reason companies agree to do Undercover Boss is for the free advertising.
In this case I think it backfired. It reinforced reputation of Maaco as bargain rate paint job with 2nd class quality.

Played up angle that Mr Costa was living proof of American dream for immigrants lives on.
Married to a blonde American southern belle, 3 yr old son and they are expecting twins later this month.
His background is from rising through executive corporate ranks of Kentucky Fried Chicken and becoming president
of Maaco as a non 'car guy'. It showed. He paid lip service to over 40 yrs of quality at affordable prices and stated
his goal for Maaco was to sell 200 new franchises in 2015.

At Maaco's 9th highest rated shop he got a rude real world awakening when body prep guy showed him how to cut corners.
Explaining Maaco pays on commission, only way to make any money was to do it fast and not follow the book.
Saying "Maaco customers know we aren't cadillac, they get the work done cheap." [you get what you pay for]
At another shop employee showed him how to present vehicle so that customer didn't notice errors.
A franchise owner told the Undercover Mr Costa, Maaco takes his money to add more franchises without aiding his business.

There was a high point. An employee of 14 yrs from Puerto Rico doing an Excellent job painting trash cans.
The franchise owner has a million dollar contract painting Disney equipment including all their trash cans.
Bottom Line:
MAACO has the capability to do quality work, but at the prices they charge they really can't afford to.

P.S.
My cousin had Maaco paint her car 9 yrs ago, it was O.K. if you aren't picky and the price was right.

For the $249 dollar special they're advertising on TV now, how can you expect much? Material cost more then that if you're not buying in bulk.

If you want to pretty something up with some paint and not worried about the details it's a bargain. Just don't expect the quality you'd get for an independent body shop.

Latest posts