Lysigin

Help Support CattleToday:

novaman

Reaction score
I ran across this vaccine called Lysigin. It is a killed vaccine meant to immunize against staph aureus. I am curious if anyone has ever used this vaccine and if it actually works. I have some staph in my herd and I guess I'd like to take any measure I can to keep my heifers and younger cows from picking it up. It costs about a buck per head so cost isn't an issue. Any input would be appreciated.

Never heard of it when I was dairying. How often do you have to give it?? Could be something worth trying at least. Might pay for itself if you can get a lower SSC.

novaman":2ewtohni said:
I ran across this vaccine called Lysigin. It is a killed vaccine meant to immunize against staph aureus. I am curious if anyone has ever used this vaccine and if it actually works. I have some staph in my herd and I guess I'd like to take any measure I can to keep my heifers and younger cows from picking it up. It costs about a buck per head so cost isn't an issue. Any input would be appreciated.

I do use this vaccine, it does work well. I vaccinate the older cows once a year, the first calf heifers get 2 shots 4 weeks apart, then annually.

I would also recommend the J-Vac 5 vaccines, these prevent the E-coli bugs, especially the Coliform mastitis which causes blue bag in dairy cows. I had it before I started vaccinating with this, and believe me it is something you never want one of your cows to experience, usually fatal, and very nasty.

GMN

novaman":3ui0kqg2 said:

the best information on Earth is at the Dairy Science division at USDA Beltsville, MD Max Paape has done more work with the Mastitis issue than any other individual to date ---He retired in 2008, after 30+ years, but you can still call his collegues in Beltsville.
or go here >>> http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_main. ... 2-65-95-00

or
I have used a teat infusion that does kill Staph aur. which is 1000 mls of hypertonic saline + 25 cc of 1% Iodine + 10 cc of Lidocaine

Latest posts