Lyme Disease

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
my dog has come down with Lyme disease. 30 days of antibiotics ($150) should cure him.
I live in Central Tx 30 miles south of Austin, the Vet. said it is not common for the disease to be in this area, a deer tick is the carrier of the disease, I have never seen a deer tick , just the old common tick, Is this a new species that has been introduced into the area. Their is a vaccine that is used up north where the tick lives. The Vet. said the vaccine is not given here because Lyme disease has not been a problem.

The deer used to be covered in them. 20 years ago we wouldn't hardly shoot a deer until there had been a good hard freeze. By the time you got one gutted you would be covered in ticks. Gave the horses he'll to. Don't see em near as much. Everyone says the fireants got em Idk.

My oldest son had lymes when he was about 10. Kept him sick regularly for a couple years.

Didn't know dogs could get it but there are so many false reports from the CDC it's hard to know what is true and what is a lie. My DIL and Son both have Lyme. DIL went 15 years undiagnosed and when her problem was finally identified it took another 15 years to kill the major elements of Lyme (Babesia and Erlicula [sp]). CDC says it can't be passed from human to human - wrong, that's how my Son got it. CDC says it can't be passed from mother to unborn child - wrong. CDC says the disease is only found in the northeast - wrong, DIL contracted the disease in El Paso. Son did a lot of digging and found the US government did biological research with Lyme at the military base in El Paso during or shortly after WWI. Maybe that's why the CDC puts out all the misinformation. Here's another kicker. There are apparently two tests for Lyme. One, which insurance companies will pay for, is not much better than roll of the dice. Many false positives and many false negatives. The other, and MUCH more accurate, is a genetic test - nearly 100% accurate but it's expensive and the insurance companies won't pay for it. Insurance companies are crooked so take that where it leads. There is a documentary called "Under Your Skin". You should get a copy of the DVD and watch it. It'l make you sick seeing all the corruption and political misrepresentation going on with this disease.

Up north, Lymes is as common in our livestock as it is in humans. For most people, you can figure that if they personally haven't had it, someone in their immediate family has. Biggest factor is all the ticks. There is just no way around them, unless there is snow on the ground, we have ticks! Even the collars don't help much on the dogs. We just clip their hair short and check them daily for ticks. We have had Lymes affect cattle, goats and dogs. In fact, I have a 18 month old red ACD female that got it about a month ago and is just finishing up her meds. Good thing she likes butter! I cant think of anyone up here that uses a Lyme's vaccination, maybe cost is a factor???

Latest posts