lvstk insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone's opinions are on the best place to get insurance for cattle. I am bringing in a bull and a heifer from SD and want to insure the load and have insurance on thoes 2 animals for the duration of their stay at my farm. They are purebred animals and the bull is rather expensive. I have mortality thru nationwide on the cow herd but it will not cover the amount of these animals. I have done some research and made some phone calls and was after all of your experienced opinions. Any and all thoughts are welcome! Thank you :cboy:

certherfbeef":1opketyb said:
I was wondering what everyone's opinions are on the best place to get insurance for cattle. I am bringing in a bull and a heifer from SD and want to insure the load and have insurance on thoes 2 animals for the duration of their stay at my farm. They are purebred animals and the bull is rather expensive. I have mortality thru nationwide on the cow herd but it will not cover the amount of these animals. I have done some research and made some phone calls and was after all of your experienced opinions. Any and all thoughts are welcome! Thank you :cboy:

I don't recall the name and I can't find the old policy, but there are a number of companys that insure animals being shipped. Normally as soon as you buy an animal at one of the larger sale you get insurance until it's delivered and sometimes for 2 weeks after.

dun

Harding and Harding is the major underwriter for livestock insurance.
Most of the magazine reps, ringmen, auctioneers, and sales mgrs.
represent them.
Harding and Harding
200 South Fourth Street
Geneva Il 60134

630 232 2100

For most cattle, rates run 6% of value for 1 year coverage.
Less for shorter periods. Will insure for as little as 1 month.

I think LA4's information is best. I will only review some of my experiences. We had a farm ranch policy with State Farm. Then after three or four years, they did a non-renew based on our increased acreage and gross income. One, we did not increase our acreage and two, we never told them what our gross income was.

They did cover our cattle at a very reasonable rate while we had insurance with them, and I think the agent felt they did not want to do that any longer?????

We switched to Farm Bureau and they are covering the cattle, but I just did this so I have not seen the final premiums or the policy, but I am told I am covered and they have our check. We insured our registered at the cost we bought them, and our home grown registered at approximate sale price expected. Time will tell.

Billy

we've used harding & harding (american livestock insurance) as well to cover animals on their trip home from sales. fortunately for us, we've never had anything happen to any of the animals so i can't tell you how easy or difficult they are to deal with when handling claims. we have a show heifer going out this next year & recently insured her with them as well.

here's the website:

http://www.amlivestock.com/linesf.htm

At the risk of sounding stupid, what exactly do you cover them for on the farm?. Had a cow struck by lightning on my property once. Not my cow but would the insurance have covered that? Is the cost worth it? Thanks

One of my clients has in the past used Aries Livestock Insurance to insure giraffes, zebras, etc. while they were being hauled all over creation. I assume they would also insure less exotic animals such as bulls! I think Aries is a Missouri outfit. Try 1-800-641-2072

I looked into insurance when we bought our last bull in March. There are three or four insurers available (I searched on the web) but I found the problem was they would only insure the animal if it died (accidental, etc). I was looking for some way to re-coop my $$ if the bull became sterile, got hurt, etc, etc.. but I couldn't find any company that would insure for "unusability". I know in horses they do.. but I guess not in cattle.

The bull won't do me much good if he can't breed.. even if he is still living.

TheBullLady":9p43khbe said:
I looked into insurance when we bought our last bull in March. There are three or four insurers available (I searched on the web) but I found the problem was they would only insure the animal if it died (accidental, etc). I was looking for some way to re-coop my $$ if the bull became sterile, got hurt, etc, etc.. but I couldn't find any company that would insure for "unusability". I know in horses they do.. but I guess not in cattle.

The bull won't do me much good if he can't breed.. even if he is still living.

Harding and Harding can provide insurance for loss of use coverage also. These are usually claims where a vet certifies they are no longer capable of breeding and are settled on a % of use basis. Many of the seedstock breeders will pay a percentage of the insurance cost (usually 50%) when you buy a bull.- My neighbor just had to apply for a claim because one of his bulls broke his tool.

dun":384com3c said:
certherfbeef":384com3c said:

I don't recall the name and I can't find the old policy, but there are a number of companys that insure animals being shipped. Normally as soon as you buy an animal at one of the larger sale you get insurance until it's delivered and sometimes for 2 weeks after.

dun
Could it have been My friend Mr. Jerry Gay?

ollie":18uaiy6f said:
dun":18uaiy6f said:
certherfbeef":18uaiy6f said:

dun
Could it have been My friend Mr. Jerry Gay?

probably very well could have been. he's been at quite a number of sales we've been to. he makes the rounds :D

Latest posts