lutelyse heifer calf

Help Support CattleToday:

pits4life

Reaction score
I am in a dilema at this point in time,I have two 9 month old calves in with 1 cow and 3 heifers.I put a bull in with them last weekend and I am scared that the bull will breed the 2 calves and dont wont that but however, I am in a situation that I have no place to seperate them until after the first of the year.I want to keep the 2 calves plus get the other 3 bred ,I know I cannot have my cake and eat it too.How often would I have to Lutelyse the calves until I can move them? Please give me all the info or advice you can,Thanks in advance.... :tiphat:

He will breed them when they come into heat as that is a given. If you pull the bull in 3 months give them Lute and dex, less than 3, just lute will work. If you do not see them come into heat within a month after the injections, do it again.

pits4life":3c3lxd44 said:
Thanks Hillsdown,please forgive my knowing of cattle but what do you refer to when you said dex?
dexomethasone (spelling)

Wait at least a week after you've moved them away from the bull before giving then the prostaglandin in case one of them was bred just before that. I'd also rather use Estrumate than Lutalyse, just a more reliable product in my experience.

KNERSIE":yjmm390t said:
Wait at least a week after you've moved them away from the bull before giving then the prostaglandin in case one of them was bred just before that. I'd also rather use Estrumate than Lutalyse, just a more reliable product in my experience.

Right forgot to share that part, thanks for adding it .

Knersie what dose do you use of Dexamethasone, we always used 12cc's but now they say you only need to use 10.

In early pregnancy lute is around 85% effective and later in pregnancy around 35%. Hit them once, wait two weeks and hit them again and don't look back. That way they have a high likelyhood of dropping the calf on the first shot and also a cleanup shot to make sure they breed back and will also stand a great chance of stripping anything the first one didn't catch.
I've been told by the makers of both lute and estrumate that any differances between cl regressing drugs on the market are minimal and I've never seen any differance among any of them so in my opinion, buy based on price unless you have a good relationship with a certain salesman.

cow pollinater":33smqjaz said:
In early pregnancy lute is around 85% effective and later in pregnancy around 35%. Hit them once, wait two weeks and hit them again and don't look back. That way they have a high likelyhood of dropping the calf on the first shot and also a cleanup shot to make sure they breed back and will also stand a great chance of stripping anything the first one didn't catch.
I've been told by the makers of both lute and estrumate that any differances between cl regressing drugs on the market are minimal and I've never seen any differance among any of them so in my opinion, buy based on price unless you have a good relationship with a certain salesman.

I have seen an independant study on the various prostaglandins and in that study Estrumate was quite a bit more effective than Lutalyse, no idea how to find that link again as it was a few years ago and on a different pc. When used for synchronizing I have always got far better response from Estrumate as well.

Wanda, I seldom use Dex, but I believe I used 12cc if memory serves... :help:

KNERSIE":260vs2bk said:
cow pollinater":260vs2bk said:

I have seen an independant study on the various prostaglandins and in that study Estrumate was quite a bit more effective than Lutalyse, no idea how to find that link again as it was a few years ago and on a different pc. When used for synchronizing I have always got far better response from Estrumate as well.

I asked our vet about estrumate and why he used lutelyse. He said that he saw no difference in the effectiveness of one over the other. Maybe the stuff in the US is a little different then that outside of the US. Kind of like the CIDRs used to (and still may) have less juice in them in the US

dun":2hioo24h said:
KNERSIE":2hioo24h said:
cow pollinater":2hioo24h said:

I asked our vet about estrumate and why he used lutelyse. He said that he saw no difference in the effectiveness of one over the other. Maybe the stuff in the US is a little different then that outside of the US. Kind of like the CIDRs used to (and still may) have less juice in them in the US

No idea as I've only ever used it here in sunny SA.

We abort every year and every year it works with our system (touch wood) no early unwanted pregnancies . Because my heifers come into heat sometimes as early as 3 months they all get 2 cc's of estrumate and 12 cc's of dex a week after they have been separated from the bulls and bull calves . Some come into heat within 3 days of the injections but most end up aborting a fetus . They all breed back on schedule when we start AI'ing in April or run them with the clean up bull.

This year because of scheduling conflicts they were aborted later than I like and we had a record percentage of heifers that had been bred. I have seen all have a regular heat after aborting so I hope that we do not have any fertility complications come next spring .I am thinking of estrumating them all again 21 - 25 days before we start to AI just to be sure that they are on schedule.

My vet prefers Estrumate too, he said it is more effective than lute, so I do believe that drugs vary depending on the country of origin as our laws and regulations are all different .

You have to get these from a vet anyways so the best thing to do is talk to them about a plan that will work best for your herd .