Lutalyse

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunny Do Ranch

Reaction score
The vet gave me lutalyse for our jersey cow as we want her to calve before everyone else does. I gave it to her and she didn't show any signs of being in heat. We brought her in with the bull in the AM and PM for 4 days (brought her in starting on day 3 after the shot) he hasn't been very interested. This morning I brought her in again and she had a bit of blood on her vulva much like our heifer gets after she is done her cycle.
My question is how many days do you have to wait to give her another shot? The vet is very hard to get a hold of and I am waiting for her to call back but I thought I would ask on here. We were thinking of leaving her in with the bull this time, its just a little difficult cause he is in a smaller pen and she has 4 calves on her right now.
Thanks

Cows will cycle 24-72 hours after the shot of Lute is given. Bleedoffs are usually 2-3 days after a heat cycle.

Lute is ineffective 7 days after a cow cycles, and also about 5 days preceeding the next heat. You can give her the shot again about 7-10 days after the heat she just had... maybe early next week.

If she had a cycle during the week before her Lutalyse she will not have responded to it. I usually recommend the second Lutalyse shot 10 days after the first one (this gives her time to have a cycle and be receptive again to the lutalyse - in case you missed it!)

Remember though that of she was bred after the first shot then a second shot will abort her....

Putting her in with the bull 3 dfays after the shot is way too late (if she was about to cycle on her own she could have done it at any stage after the injection). I would put her with the bull as soon as you have given the Lutalyse!

4 calves on her??? If she is anoestrus then Lutalyse will not make her cycle - PG only works on a corpus luteum and to have one of those then you have to have had an ovulation!

cowvet":325y6g1d said:
4 calves on her??? If she is anoestrus then Lutalyse will not make her cycle - PG only works on a corpus luteum and to have one of those then you have to have had an ovulation!

help :?: - English please - those 20 dollar words are too much for me today - thanks :heart:

mdmdogs3":2y5lb4sv said:
cowvet":2y5lb4sv said:

help :?: - English please - those 20 dollar words are too much for me today - thanks :heart:

Anestrus: fake heat

Corpus luteum: the part of the female reproductive anatomy that makes the egg prior to ovulation

Ovulation: Egg in uterus is ready for fertilization.

Hope those help mgmdogs.

Close, Karin... anestrus is that time where a cow is not cycling, such as between calving and first heat, or when they're not getting enough nutrition for their body to run the reproductive system.

4 calves on her??? If she is anoestrus then Lutalyse will not make her cycle - PG only works on a corpus luteum and to have one of those then you have to have had an ovulation![/quote]

She produces a little over 50 pounds of milk per day. We got her as a nurse cow hence the 4 calves. They barely keep her nursed down.

cowvet":2n0i6ypd said:
If she had a cycle during the week before her Lutalyse she will not have responded to it. I usually recommend the second Lutalyse shot 10 days after the first one (this gives her time to have a cycle and be receptive again to the lutalyse - in case you missed it!)

Remember though that of she was bred after the first shot then a second shot will abort her....

Putting her in with the bull 3 dfays after the shot is way too late (if she was about to cycle on her own she could have done it at any stage after the injection). I would put her with the bull as soon as you have given the Lutalyse!

We have used a timed breeding on some of the cows that did not show signs of heat after first shot. We gave second shot 10 days after first shot and AI'd 80 hours later.

milkmaid":2zfnhzwp said:
Close, Karin... anestrus is that time where a cow is not cycling, such as between calving and first heat, or when they're not getting enough nutrition for their body to run the reproductive system.

Shoot! Kinda figgered I might get one wrong... Thanks for the correction MM.

novatech":2m9lk5lo said:
cowvet":2m9lk5lo said:

We have used a timed breeding on some of the cows that did not show signs of heat after first shot. We gave second shot 10 days after first shot and AI'd 80 hours later.

The ones that did not show signs of heat after the first shot are probably those that cycled within the week prior to the Lutalyse jab (cows will only respond to PG a week after ovulating and not within this time) - if you consider the maths then I would expect in a random group of cows (that are all cycling) about 66% of the cows will respond to the first injection and 33% will not. Giving a second shot 10 days later then all 100% of the group would be ready to respond

In groups of cows post calving that have not yet been seen cycling then some will repond to lutalyse (prostaglandin) that is because the first heat after calving is often as silent one - giving a Lutalyse shot will get a response in these cows!! Lutalyse will not work on an anoestrus cow (inactive ovaries) - it works on the CL (corpus luteum) and to have one of those you need to have had an ovulation!

(The CL is formed from the cells that used to surround the follicle (egg) before it ovulated - its job is to secrete progesterone and maintain the pregnancy until the placenta takes over!)

Hunny Do Ranch":3dyf6xx2 said:

She produces a little over 50 pounds of milk per day. We got her as a nurse cow hence the 4 calves. They barely keep her nursed down.[/quote]

Have you seen her cycling?

cowvet":vdhwodz7 said:
Hunny Do Ranch":vdhwodz7 said:

She produces a little over 50 pounds of milk per day. We got her as a nurse cow hence the 4 calves. They barely keep her nursed down.

Have you seen her cycling?[/quote]

She had just cycled before we got her. I haven't personally seen her but I trust the guy we bought her from. She freshed in Decemer but we wanted to wait to breed cause that would be no fun calving then.

Latest posts