Lutalyse question

Help Support CattleToday:

glarson

Reaction score
My 4-h heifer jumped the fence to meet the neighbors bull. To be on the safe side were going to give her a shot of Lutalyse. This should end the possibility of being bred, my question is will this also bring her back to being in heat? Or will it be another 21 days? I plan to AI after this. Which I was told to wait for 2 cycles after giving the shot. Just trying to figure the timing out. Thank you for any replys

You should wait 7-10 days post breeding to abort with lute. The timing with rebreeding I can't comment on as I don't know. Usually if a heifer gets bred I let it be. Never tried to abort and then rebreed before.

For the prostaglandin to have any effect there has to be a corpus luteum or a corpus lueum of pregnancy and both take about 5 days to fully develop, hence the reason to wait or about 7 days before giving the shot. She'll come in heat usually about 72 to 84 hours after the shot and you can breed her on that heat, no need to wait. I routinely synchronise cows for AI by giving two shots of Estrumate 11 days apart and have very high conception rates on the first service with this method.

KNERSIE":48ldlexu said:
For the prostaglandin to have any effect there has to be a corpus luteum or a corpus lueum of pregnancy and both take about 5 days to fully develop, hence the reason to wait or about 7 days before giving the shot. She'll come in heat usually about 72 to 84 hours after the shot and you can breed her on that heat, no need to wait. I routinely synchronise cows for AI by giving two shots of Estrumate 11 days apart and have very high conception rates on the first service with this method.
I always went ahead and bred those that came into heat 72 to 84 hours. If they didn't I then gave them the second shot on day 11.

novatech":2hvrcd1h said:
KNERSIE":2hvrcd1h said:
I always went ahead and bred those that came into heat 72 to 84 hours. If they didn't I then gave them the second shot on day 11.

Depending on my available time to heat detect I would usually also AI them, if time is tight I'd just go ahead and give the second shot and just heat detect for 5 days following the second shot

How funny...I haven't been on the boards in ages, and what to I find when I stop in for a bit? THE topic I needed and recent too!

'Fraid the same situation is going on over here, only it was the next door neighbor's bull who came visiting this morning as opposed to Miss Thang going over there. Either way, the result was the same; an unplanned breeding. Since I can't get her up to the breeder til September, and really don't want to mess with heat cycles and the neighbor's bull between now and then, I was planning on waiting until the end of August (about what, 4 weeks?) to Lute her and bring her in. From the literature I've been reading, there's about a 90% success rate for terminating pregnancy with Lute between day 7 and 70? Does that sound right? The breeder however, said to hit her in 3 weeks then lock her up for 3 days so that when she did come in there'd be an extra fence between her and the neighbor's bull.. What I'm curious about is, is there a "more" successful time to terminate than others, and if so, what is that time frame? Its not that I don't like the neighbor's bull....its just that we're seedstock on our side of the fence, and he's...well, he's not of the same "seed". :lol2:

After a corpus luteum is formed the sooner the better as it will just cause another heat cycle and not an abortion with the resultant time it takes for the uterus to go back to normal as would be the case later in the pregnancy.

Latest posts