Lutalyse or Estrumate to abort heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

cowpunk'd

Reaction score
When I called my vet about using Lutalyse to abort an accidently bred 4 month old heifer he told me to use 2cc Estrumate i.m. at 28 and 42 days post breeding. I read here that 5 ml Lutalyse will abort a pregnancy up till 100 days. My sister keeps Lutalyse on hand because she breeds horses, which my vet knows. I feel inclined to use the lutalyse rather then buying Estrumate, but am wondering why the vet would recommend Estrumate instead?

They are the same thing, so lutalyse would be fine. It's probably because he has Estrumate on hand and wants to get rid of it.

Are you sure she got bred?

Just follow the vets recommendation, but Lutalyse should do the same job as Estrumate, but give 5 cc.

Thanks for the reply, Ennot. This heifer started cycling really young, and I've been keeping track. A wee little jersey bull smashed down a gate and she stood for him, I saw him cover her. She has not come back into heat. I had a heifer calve at 15 months a few years ago and never again! She mothered it but not enough milk.

Estrumate will abort the foetus as soon as 7 days post breeding, if it can even be called a foetus at that stage. it will cause the corpus Luteum to regress and she will cycle normally in 21 days time.

KNERSIE":2a1f2hro said:
Estrumate will abort the foetus as soon as 7 days post breeding, if it can even be called a foetus at that stage. it will cause the corpus Luteum to regress and she will cycle normally in 21 days time.

Lutalyse does the same thing.

BTW - don't wait until 100 days gestation to abort the fetus. It'll make a mess of a cow's reproductive tract if you use Lute to work on a calf that size.

Thanks for the advice, I will give her the lutalyse Monday which is 28 days post breeding.

Use a 18 guage needle 11/2" long and give the Lutalyse in the muscle!

When I called my vet about using Lutalyse to abort an accidently bred 4 month old heifer he told me to use 2cc Estrumate i.m. at 28 and 42 days post breeding. I read here that 5 ml Lutalyse will abort a pregnancy up till 100 days. My sister keeps Lutalyse on hand because she breeds horses, which my vet knows. I feel inclined to use the lutalyse rather then buying Estrumate, but am wondering why the vet would recommend Estrumate instead?
Please remember a 4 month old heifer isn't the same weight as a full grown cow. As such, shouldn't get the same dose. Please ask your vet? Estrumate, while still same active ingredient, isn't nearly as harsh on the cow or horse as Lutalyse, for some reason. I'd never give Lutalyse to a horse, too colicky.

Please remember a 4 month old heifer isn't the same weight as a full grown cow. As such, shouldn't get the same dose. Please ask your vet? Estrumate, while still same active ingredient, isn't nearly as harsh on the cow or horse as Lutalyse, for some reason. I'd never give Lutalyse to a horse, too colicky.
Welcome to the board, fellow vet. You should know you're responding to a 16 year old post. Also, the proper doses for Estrumate and Lutalyse are the same regardless of animal age or weight.

Do to a comedy of errors (which isn't funny) we have between 40 and 50 yearling heifers which have been exposed to a bull from about May 1 until now. Plan A now is to sell them sometime in mid August. The plan is to use Lute and Dex. There is no working pens where they are at. So they will have to be hauled home to run them through the chute. The question is how long does it take to take affect? How long to safely have them cleaned up? Wouldn't want them going through the ring with stuff hanging.
One of the bulls they were exposed to is a yearling Char/Hereford cross. He certainly would not be calving ease so the idea of holding them a bit and selling as bred heifers is out of the question.

Do to a comedy of errors (which isn't funny) we have between 40 and 50 yearling heifers which have been exposed to a bull from about May 1 until now. Plan A now is to sell them sometime in mid August. The plan is to use Lute and Dex. There is no working pens where they are at. So they will have to be hauled home to run them through the chute. The question is how long does it take to take affect? How long to safely have them cleaned up? Wouldn't want them going through the ring with stuff hanging.
One of the bulls they were exposed to is a yearling Char/Hereford cross. He certainly would not be calving ease so the idea of holding them a bit and selling as bred heifers is out of the question.
It takes 3-4 days for them to abort after the shots. They'll clean up fast. Even if they got bred on May 1st, the fetus is still only about 8 inches long from head to tail. On most of them you probably won't see anything other than some bloody discharge.

5cc Lute and 10cc Dexamethasone. You can kick 100day gestations all day long.
I knew the drugs. I was wondering the time involved. It is not like gather, haul to the chute, give them the shots, and take them to the sale. I guess it is do that on Tuesday for the Wednesday sale. That or do it on Friday and then hold them until Tuesday to haul. Hmmm where to put them and feed until Tuesday. If the "cowboys" had cut the bulls like they were supposed to. Or we had spayed these heifers like plan A. As usual live and learn.

It is not like gather, haul to the chute, give them the shots, and take them to the sale.
I know someone that does that - and still markets them as guaranteed open. Personally, I don't think that's right, but it's their reputation on the line, not mine. They have had to buy back a few when they were preg checked at the sale (which means the majority of them were open anyway).

I knew the drugs. I was wondering the time involved. It is not like gather, haul to the chute, give them the shots, and take them to the sale. I guess it is do that on Tuesday for the Wednesday sale. That or do it on Friday and then hold them until Tuesday to haul. Hmmm where to put them and feed until Tuesday. If the "cowboys" had cut the bulls like they were supposed to. Or we had spayed these heifers like plan A. As usual live and learn.
Dex works within 36hours whether their two months bred or 8.5 months bred.

Latest posts