Lutalyse for abortions?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bar23

Reaction score
Found 3 10-12 month old registered angus heifers that have been in pasture with young bulls 8-11 month old bulls. I want to buy them, but don't want want early pregnancy either. I read to give them Lutalyse and it will abort the embryo? My question is how late is to late into the pregnancy ?

Bar23":zz99893d said:
Found 3 10-12 month old registered angus heifers that have been in pasture with young bulls 8-11 month old bulls. I want to buy them, but don't want want early pregnancy either. I read to give them Lutalyse and it will abort the embryo? My question is how late is to late into the pregnancy ?

Quite often, the need arises for inducing abortion in heifers. The drugs
required to accomplish this depends on the stage of pregnancy at the time. In general, the following protocol should be followed:

Less than 3 months bred ---------- prostaglandins

1. Estrumate: 2 mL IM injection OR
2. Lutalyse : 5 mL IM injection

Bred greater than 3 months------- prostaglandin and steroids

1. Estrumate or Lutalyse
2. Dexamethasone: 30 mg (at least 6 mL IM injection)

Abortion will usually happen within 5 days of treatment.

When deciding if it appropriate to abort heifers, you should consider that the chance of complications greatly increases the farther pregnant the heifer is. Problems like retained placenta and dystocia are common in heavily pregnant heifers that are aborted.

Source: modified from Dr. Carla Hicks' (Moosejaw Animal Clinic) handout.
4 John St. Box 1159, Sundridge, ON, P0A 1Z0

If you want to buy them I'd make an arrangement with the seller. Take them to your vet, have them palped. If they're bred you can return them or the seller makes an adjustment on his price. Your vet will decide the best course of action contingent on how far along. Lute is 93% effective given alone (my heifer just happened to be in the 7%). BTW there is now a Lutalyse HighCon that's 2cc instead of 5cc.

Give them 10cc of Dex and they will abort within the week. At 10-12 months old I wouldn't worry about the calf being very big. Dex is cheaper than Lute.

Supposedly a shot of Dexamethesone and Prostaglandin will abort calves.

Bar23":2hq4uqlc said:
My question is how late is to late into the pregnancy ?
For heifers 7 months.
For humans I think Pelosi approved method is up to day of birth as long as you shove head back and vacuum out the
brain before first breath is taken.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":woj73ugv said:
If you use Lutalyse - be sure to wait 10 days after they come home. It will not abort 1-10 days pregnant. And, I would not think you are looking at heifers bred for very long at those ages.

You never know for sure how far along. I had two "oops" calves from heifers 14 months old last spring. And they both bred back to be on time for this calving season.

Once I bought a baldy heifer from sale barn she was 700 pounds. 1 week later there was a Charolais calf running around my pen. He was healthy for a day dead the next. I theorize she didn't let him suck.

Bar23 said:
Once I bought a baldy heifer from sale barn she was 700 pounds. 1 week later there was a Charolais calf running around my pen. He was healthy for a day dead the next. I theorize she didn't let him suck.
even if it didnt nurse, it would have lived a couple of days. Maybe it got kicked or something.