lutalyse / estrumate question

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
I know both are prostaglandins and I know how they work, but am interested to here which you prefer and why.

Also I've read on the Estrumate leaflet that the two shots should be given 11 days apart. My vet says he has better results by giving them 13 days apart. On the select sires website they suggest 14 days apart. What is the protocol you use?

Is it the same for lutalyse? Also I see the lute dose is 5cc compared to the Estrumate's 2cc. Is the estrumate a stronger concentration? I would really prefer injecting 5 cc rather than just 2.

Any comments?

I use whichever the vet has on hand. All of the vets around here use lut so that's what we get. Never have done 2 shots of lut. We use GnRH and 7 days later we use lut (PGF2)

dun

used Lutulayse and Prostamate here with same results, Prost. is a little less money though. Two shotst will work to synch cows but don't rely on timed AI, for good results you will need to heat detect. The smart people say 11-13 days apart so figure day one is 1st injection and day 11,12 or 13 for the second.
Do some research if you haven't already and understand how it works PGF2a has no effect on synchronization if there is not a Corpus Luteum(CL) present.

Sage,

The idea is not timed AI, but rather to AI all in a weeks time. We are busy with the fruit season which makes heat observation difficult over a 7 week period ( 2 chances at AI, 1 with cleanup bull, then to the butcher). my thinking is to do very good heat observation that week after the second shot and AI as they come on heat. Then I'll have a two week break at our busiest time of fruit packing then another ten days of intense heat detecting.

According to the vet prostaglandins used like this with proper heat detection and not just timed AI should have no ill effect on conception rates.

what are you all's thoughts on this?

This synch works very well with heat detection, breeding for about 5 days after the second shot. Missed cows should come back in for another group of breeding. I think your on the right track we breed heifers the same way except we use MGA and one shot but it's the same ganaral plan.

is MGA the trade name? I've never heard of it don't think its available under that name here in SA

KNERSIE":1g56i6e3 said:
is MGA the trade name? I've never heard of it don't think its available under that name here in SA

MGA is melengestrol acetate

dun

Latest posts