Lutalyse and pregnant cow

Help Support CattleToday:

LuckyChance

New member
Joined
Jun 17, 2024
Messages
3
Reaction score
20
Hi guys,

You know when you have a REALLY bad day ? Need to know your thoughts on this one.
Back in October, cow was declared open by the vet. Decided to keep her and put her on a protocol for 2024. Started the implant protocol, gave Fertiline + implant, bioestrovet + removed implant... Then came the day. Today we were suppose to inseminate her and give her fertiline again. Yeah NO ! She was PREGNANT (WTF) Thanks neighbor... Anyway ! So she'd be due around end of august, which bring us to a 7 months old pregnancy and a 2 ml shot of lutalyse.
Abortion ? Yes no ? When to expect it ? Have you ever heard or seen a case like this ?

Thanks
 
I had a heifer have a still born calf from doing 2 doses. Not sure how your exact scenario will play out but I wouldn't think it would be good.

A couple years back I had a neighbors fence jumping Char get in with some heifers we had. We luted them the next day and then again like a week later per the vet. He even asked me, do you want to palp them before we do it? I was like, "naw... they are heifers and just started cycling". Sure enough, a month or two later one drops a still born calf. I learned my lesson to always palp before giving any thing like that. Our 1/4-1/8 heifers can cycle very early some times.
 
I suspect you will be fine. I understand that prostaglandins such as Luytalayse or Bioestrovet will only work to end a pregnancy in early gestation. I give Lute to my heifers about 30-40 days after the bulls are pulled. My bulls are only in for about 60 days, but at least twice I had heifers breed when they were only 4 months old. The heifers were already 3 months old when the bull went in. When we gave lute 40 days after pulling the bulls, they were already about 70 days pregnant and lute failed to abort. They had calves when the heifers were a bit less than 13 months old. I doubt that giving PG to a cow that is already 7 months pregnant will cause an abortion.
 
Personally, I wouldn't try to abort that late in gestation. You'll most likely end up with a preemie. You said it was a cow, so assuming she's already been bred & calved successfully in the past? I use Lutalyse on all my heifers at weaning after pulling the bulls a good 6 weeks prior but Lute is something like 93% effective if administered within the first trimester. I had a 7% heifer and even my vet called her open. It happens.
 
Hi guys,

You know when you have a REALLY bad day ? Need to know your thoughts on this one.
Back in October, cow was declared open by the vet. Decided to keep her and put her on a protocol for 2024. Started the implant protocol, gave Fertiline + implant, bioestrovet + removed implant... Then came the day. Today we were suppose to inseminate her and give her fertiline again. Yeah NO ! She was PREGNANT (WTF) Thanks neighbor... Anyway ! So she'd be due around end of august, which bring us to a 7 months old pregnancy and a 2 ml shot of lutalyse.
Abortion ? Yes no ? When to expect it ? Have you ever heard or seen a case like this ?

Thanks
Why would you want to abort a calf that is 2 months away from calving?
 
I would hope that she would not abort that far along. One question I have... we have always used 5 cc Lutalyse ... not sure about 2cc.... Some of the other "brands" call for less....Estrumate is 2cc.... don't have the package to see what the protocol is for different stages of pregnancy... or when it is less effective.
 
I would hope that she would not abort that far along. One question I have... we have always used 5 cc Lutalyse ... not sure about 2cc.... Some of the other "brands" call for less....Estrumate is 2cc.... don't have the package to see what the protocol is for different stages of pregnancy... or when it is less effective.
There is a high concentrate lute available to use at 2 cc.
 
I'm always trying to get Estrumate from my vet, but I think his drug rep only has Lutelyze, so I have tried the hi-con lutelyze, but it was more expensive per dose, so I just use the regular.
 
I would hope that she would not abort that far along. One question I have... we have always used 5 cc Lutalyse ... not sure about 2cc.... Some of the other "brands" call for less....Estrumate is 2cc.... don't have the package to see what the protocol is for different stages of pregnancy... or when it is less effective.
It's a more potent version. Our vet carried it for a bit but quit carrying it about a year ago. Didn't have good results with it over Lute.
 
Probably gonna be ok. At that stage, you'd probably have to add dexamethasone to induce abortion.
We had a heifer that we 'just couldn't get bred'...or so we thought... Had done w GnRH/CIDR + PgF, with no heat shown, then a second dose of PgF 11 days later...still no heat. Not long after (I don't recall how long), i looked out to see her nursing a calf.
 
Hi guys,
Thanks A LOT for your answers. Like Brute 23 said, we did not know she was bred since she was said open by the vet. It's been 5 days since she had her injection and she's doing fine. So I'll cross my fingers that her baby makes it in one piece.
Thanks again !
 
Hi again,
Just wanted to give you an update. So we finally had a healthy calf bull this morning. Everything seems in place and mama delivered without any assistance. Thanks again :) View attachment 47088
Congrats! And mama is the spitting image of one my cows, Phantom (because Phantom of the Opera).
 
Hi guys,

You know when you have a REALLY bad day ? Need to know your thoughts on this one.
Back in October, cow was declared open by the vet. Decided to keep her and put her on a protocol for 2024. Started the implant protocol, gave Fertiline + implant, bioestrovet + removed implant... Then came the day. Today we were suppose to inseminate her and give her fertiline again. Yeah NO ! She was PREGNANT (WTF) Thanks neighbor... Anyway ! So she'd be due around end of august, which bring us to a 7 months old pregnancy and a 2 ml shot of lutalyse.
Abortion ? Yes no ? When to expect it ? Have you ever heard or seen a case like this ?

Thanks
Happened to me last year and the cow aborted, didn't clean everything out, developed a bad infection and scarred up the uterus so she got sold. Hope yours goes better.

Edit: Whoops I guess I should have read the entire thread first, glad it worked out!
 
Glad to see the update and that she had a healthy live calf and seems to be doing good. Extra groceries so she will make milk and grow since she is young.
We have had some "oops" calves over the years... It usually stunts the young heifers growth a bit, but most go on and stay in the herd and have good calves that will grow like any other calf.... just the momma is a little smaller... I am careful to make sure they do not get bred to bulls producing big calves, but to just the regular average bulls.
I do usually hold them and not push them to breed back too soon... try to get them calving back with their "group" so they get a little extra time to grow a little bit more... but some just go on and fit right in. Depends on the individual...
 

Latest posts

Top