Lumpy Jar

Help Support CattleToday:

ALD":17amkfyo said:
Have 2 young cows with lumpy jar, any suggestions for treatment and prevention?
I have a question for you. Are you sure its lumpy jaw? Seems kind of unusual to me for one person to have two young cows with lumpy jaw at the same time. It requires not only presence of the causative agent, but also some sort of injury or lesion in the mouth to introduce it. Then it has to spread into the bone. On two at the same time?

But, if you're sure, penicillin to treat the agent, surgery to repair the damage. Of course, Jake probably has a better idea.......

Texan":748lqv95 said:
Of course, Jake probably has a better idea.......

I don't know about that, but with the current prices even the dock because of the disease they would bring a pretty penny and you wouldn't have to deal with treating them because it's not exactly a simple process. Only if they are really special would I see a reason to keep them around. But that's just me....

Maybe this is a little out of left field, but I've had a couple head develop lumps of infection in the jaw due to barley beards getting worked in and becoming infected. The first one burst and cleared up on it's own, but the second one was a real stomach turner - had to lance it after the cow was in the squeeze. Almost a cup full of pus came out of that festering sore, but gave her some antibiotics and she healed up nicely. Anyway, just a thought.

Take care.

Maybe this is a little out of left field, but I've had a couple head develop lumps of infection in the jaw due to barley beards getting worked in and becoming infected. The first one burst and cleared up on it's own, but the second one was a real stomach turner - had to lance it after the cow was in the squeeze. Almost a cup full of pus came out of that festering sore, but gave her some antibiotics and she healed up nicely. Anyway, just a thought.

Take care.

Note to self, In the future- do not read Cattle Annie's posts while eating a sandwich!! :cry:

Latest posts