Lump?

Help Support CattleToday:

wstevenl

Reaction score
What could it be?
I've got a Dexter cow that has a really bad udder, 2 long teats, and a couple of lumps that I'm assuming are mastitis? or scar tissue? She's all dried up and I'm just keeping her to see how her calf turns out because she's bred to a nice bull. So, my question is about the shape of her brisket, the bottom 6 or 8 inches of her brisket is REALLY thick and I hadn't noticed this before so it probably happened recently. It is like if you filled up the bottom of the brisket with air or water. I have heard that a brisket will be thin or thick because of fat, but assumed it would be even throughout. Any idea what this is? She won't let me touch her, but I touched that thick part of the brisket with a stick and it seemed pretty firm, like it was fat but not tight like if it was full of gas or air. The other day I thought she could be bloating, but she seems fine now, the brisket is still looking odd down by her front legs though.

Yes, a photo would help.

It could also be heart failure. They fill up with fluid when the heart fails, and the brisket is the first place you will notice. But she should show other symptoms like breathing heavy and acting very tired or slow.

Could be cancer, too. I've seen a few cases of lymphoma look just like that. Put some wheels under her unless you like calling the rendering truck.

If her udder is that bad I'd cull that calf too.