Lump on hip

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter E

Reaction score
We have a tigerstripe cow, about 6 years old, calf at side. She has a football sized soft lump on her right hip. My treatment plan is subject to change based upon what responses you provide. So far, I plan to stick a needle into the lump and see if its pus-filled. If so, I will cut a fairly small incision at the bottom, so it drains. I'll squish out the goo and swab it with iodine, then spray it with some anti-fly wound dressing and give her a shot of LA200.

What do you think?

Picture(s)? where on the hip? top? side? near the hip bone? how big is the lump? does it appear to be bothering her?

Just a little reluctant to start offering advice of any sort without a little more info ;-)

Milkmaid, I will take a picture tomorrow. The lump does not seem to bother her. Its huge in my opinion, and growing. Like a football, just inside the skin between hip and thurl, up pretty high.

maybe its fluid-filled. i had a cow get a big stick jammed in her neck several months ago and she blew up big, it was right behind her jaw in the neck though. i have seen cancers do like that before but hopefully its just some sort of abcess or something. you didnt notice any puncture wound?

Go ahead with your plan of treatment.It sounds like a hemitoma (sp) a bruse.If you just aquired her recently, and she was bought at the sale barn this is a common occurance,mostly caused by mishandling of the cattle in the back.The only thing i might add would be a shot of banimine (sp) if the hip is bothering her.Good luck

If it's just a bruise, wouldn't it go down on it's own? I've never treated myself with antibiotics for bruises...

Is there a puncture mark suggesting the cow cut herself? is the lump hot to the touch - like an infection? has she been under stress recently - maybe been worked or moved from another location? might be an infection...might not. Saw a cow 'while back that broke the top of her hipbone. Rather unsightly lumps that disappeared months later without ever seeming to bother her.

If it were me, and I wasn't exactly sure what it was and it wasn't bothering her, I'd prolly just watch it. How long did you say she'd had this?

Rafter E":347ctdrr said:
We have a tigerstripe cow, about 6 years old, calf at side. She has a football sized soft lump on her right hip. My treatment plan is subject to change based upon what responses you provide. So far, I plan to stick a needle into the lump and see if its pus-filled. If so, I will cut a fairly small incision at the bottom, so it drains. I'll squish out the goo and swab it with iodine, then spray it with some anti-fly wound dressing and give her a shot of LA200.

What do you think?

If you go ahead with your plan, you may want to consider flushing the site out with diluted betadine or clean water. You may have to do that more than once to keep the incision open and draining, depending on what you find.

IMG_0107.jpg

That stuff you might see on the lower side is just manure, no puncture wound visible. Yes, we recently picked her and her heifer calf up as a pair at the sale...I can just see a gate smashing into her, their handling at times is atrocious. As stated earlier, she does not seem to be bothered by it...heres a rear-view picture, i need to palpate that left side too, seems a bit swollen also. Both hips???

She is in the corral, and I have a few others to doctor, I will watch your posts and take action tomorrow...or not???

IMG_0115.jpg

It looks soft and fluid-filled to me. I'm sorry, did you post above that you were going to drain it?
I'd take a syringe with a needle on it and draw it out, just to see if it was pus or just clear fluid, and go from there. Looks like a cyst to me. I don't know what that means in cattle, maybe it's just nothing to worry about. Be interested in knowing what you find out.
Susie

I have a South Devon cow and on Friday 11/11 she developed a lump on the front of her (r) shoulder the size of a basketball and it looks just like that one in the picture. We do not know what to do. It doesn't seem to bother her, she acts normal. Please help?!?

I would poke a hole in it from the bottom and see if I could drain it. If you can get most of the junk out you can ussually feel if something is in it. Give her some kind of antibiotic. Could be worse could be a lump ubder her jaw now that stinks.
Adios :D

If it's soft, go ahead and lance it. If it's hard, leave it alone. (That was my vet's advice when I asked about a cow here that developed something similar...)

Latest posts