lump on heifer's jaw

Help Support CattleToday:

milesvb

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this ain't beechnut. The first couple times I saw this she was chewing cud so I figured that's what it was. This weekend she wasn't chewing so I snapped a couple pic's. She doesn't seem to notice it and she eats normally and is in good condition. It moves with the cheek so I don't think it is an abcess tooth. Any opinions?

P7230024.jpg

P7230023.jpg

I wonder if those ears slapping her in the face all the time hasn't made a knot?

that could be an abcess . or she couldve bumped it causing the knott. or she could be wormy. scott

It isn't worms. I would look in her mouth and see what it is. She could have picked up a thorn.

that is a fine looking brammer.healthy too i would get her up & check if it is soft you could insert a large gauge needle at the bottom & drain it . if its hard i would check in her mouth could be anything like wire,thorn, i had heifer that looked just like her do the same thing never could find anything went down on its own i really wouldnt get to concerned unless it gets bigger.

I don't remember the day I noticed first it but it hasn't gotten any bigger from what I remember. I'll keep an eye on her. If it gets any bigger I'll get her penned ASAP.

Thanks for the replies.

p.s.- Now Ollie, if her ears were slapping her in the face wouldn't she have knots on both sides? :roll:

Maybe she has a dominant right ear which would be heavier???

ollie":1wbxstqn said:
Maybe she has a dominant right ear which would be heavier???

Oh, so now you're saying my heifer is asymmetrical? ;-)

Her sire is a Gyr Brahman like in my avatar and he does throw some ear on 'em. Her dam is a limousin cross.

Nice heifer. Look in her mouth before it gets worse Miles.

milesvb":24ol8d9i said:
Her sire is a Gyr Brahman like in my avatar and he does throw some ear on 'em. Her dam is a limousin cross.

hey miles... what is the makeup of the limo cross dam??
they look like good cattle to me.

thanks

jt

Well, Miss Beechnut seems to have gotten rid of her chew. The knot was down quite a bit later in the week but I moved the herd into the pen pasture anyway. Saturday morning I couldn't tell that anything was wrong so I moved 'em on. I'm still watching her close in case it's recurrent.

Thanks for the replies.

yea I was wondering what that is, I just noticed a lump on my steer's jaw today so it can've been there for very long, and I'm pretty sure it's not the bone kind of lump jaw because that takes month's tp grow and this seemed to appear overnight. I'm hoping I'll get lucky like you and hte lump will just go away on it's own, but if worst comes to worst I'm going to have to frain the pus, Ick!

Welcome to the boards hereford girl......

it is often an oral issue, meaning that the abcess started from some where in the gum line, thats where I would look first. it is possible at times to see the problem inside the mouth, but most often what ever it is, has migrated inside the gum or jaw.

like posted above, a large bore needle for a quick poke to see what you draw out may give you a good clue. If you cannot draw out anything, you might inject a small amount of penicillen to perhaps knock out or reduce the infection a bit. a better portion of the time, it will work it's way out and all will be well in the world again. :cboy:

again welcome

Thanks a lot for that advice,

I don't know for sure if it even is lump in the jaw because him and his partner might have been hooking each other with their horns or somehting or he could of bumped it somewhere, (When will those two ever learn??)

Anyways I will see if he'll let me look in his mouth later, and if anything looks odd I'll have to get dad to do something about it.

Thanks again for the welcome and the advice.

(P.s, the one with the lump now is the one on the left in my avatar pic, he's a lot younger there though and a lot bigger now.)

herefordgurl":w8j1mjzj said:
yea I was wondering what that is, I just noticed a lump on my steer's jaw today so it can've been there for very long, and I'm pretty sure it's not the bone kind of lump jaw because that takes month's tp grow and this seemed to appear overnight. I'm hoping I'll get lucky like you and hte lump will just go away on it's own, but if worst comes to worst I'm going to have to frain the pus, Ick!
Pus is nothing more than Leucocytes (White blood cells which fight infections and get rid of bacteria.) She might have gotten an awn or seed stuck in her skin, and the swelling is just an enlarged area filled with white cells. Keep an eye on it. If it doesn't recede, lance it (disinfect first), but step out of the way first! Is it hot to the touch? The four cardinal signs of an infection are: Heat, Swelling, Redness and Pain. The first three you can detect - the Pain part is subjective. She may shake her head and try to rub it against a fence post or a tree trunk or something. And it may recede on it's own.

Well, the lump on my steers jaw is neither hot, red, it hasn't gotten any bigger, and it's not causing him any pain, so I have no clue what it is. He's still eating like a pig and isn't acting any differently. hopefully he'll be fine, I'm still keeping an eye on him though.

herefordgurl":n6ee2pjh said:

I have one that has a lump the size of a baseball just under her jaw. I suspect snake bite. She already had it some time before I saw it so she survived it ok. Still there a month later. Looks strange but she is eating and doing just fine.

Latest posts