lump on calfs jaw

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
what does this look like to yall, without looking at my book i would say he is about 2-2.5 months old. he still acts fine and running around with the other calves. snake bite, lump jaw or something else what do yall think?

Had a few here this spring, not sure why - never seemed to have issue with it before. I believe its from getting something stuck in their gums and then gets infected. Its a fairly solid feeling lump, that will continue to grow until it either busts open or you stab it.

Get the calf contained and feel around with your finger you should notice a spot that seems a little softer than the rest. Take a needle and stab it good in that spot and then squeeze the pus out some. It will stink to high h3ll. Then give your antibiotic of choice and let em go.

Have a feeder steer here who also swelled up bad, but he's on pasture and I never got him caught - his grew quite large and then finally busted open the other day, and began to drain.

The calves were eating baleage with the cows at time time, may have been a bit stemmy for their soft mouths- but the feeder is on clover pasture and grain, not sure what he poked in there. Sure looks painful, but they dont seem to mind it like you said

I doubt that it involves the bone but it would be an abscess. I would do what Dexta said but I would be a bit bolder and use a scalpel and give it a good deep slash to get adequate drainage.

Ken

M-5":27r3bcbg said:
I got a dairy calf with the same thing. It's hard and I stuck a needle in but no drainage.
If it's hard it isn;t "ripe" yet, give it a little longer

dun":jb2xb7tr said:
M-5":jb2xb7tr said:
I got a dairy calf with the same thing. It's hard and I stuck a needle in but no drainage.

that's was my thinking also. It started at about a week old and now is about the size of a golf ball. It does not effect him.
" Benign neglect "

I had one like that about 4 years ago on a heifer calf, could NOT catch her & it didn't seem to affect her eating or attitude so I let her be & just kept an eye on her. It eventually burst (naaaaasty) & she's perfectly fine but still has a small hard lump from scarring. I wouldn't worry about it unless he starts to get droopy or his appetite diminishes.

M-5":162s25qf said:
dun":162s25qf said:
M-5":162s25qf said:

that's was my thinking also. It started at about a week old and now is about the size of a golf ball. It does not effect him.
" Benign neglect "

This morning when feeding calves I noticed a glob of something that looked kinda like butter on the back of the other calf , I scooped it up on my finger and it was sticky but did not have a foul odor, I then noticed the lump was mostly gone from other calf and the area had dried sticky stuff around the area. I guess it got "ripe" , I'll see about cleaning it up this afternoon

Had one do the same thing. Got him up in the chute and gave him a shot. Older gentlemen was there who's run cattle for longer than I've been alive and his advice was to just leave it alone. In a few weeks it went away. Like Dexta I had them on some pretty stemy stuff. "Benign Neglect".

scf84":210v0d2e said:
what does this look like to yall, without looking at my book i would say he is about 2-2.5 months old. he still acts fine and running around with the other calves. snake bite, lump jaw or something else what do yall think?

Lance in a check mark at bottom and give LA200.

Identical to the calf I have that busted yesterday . There is still some swelling to the area and I got a little gunk out yesterday. I Irrigated it and dosed him will LA , It don't bother him so Im not gonna let it bother me

Latest posts