Lump on belly , udder edema?

Help Support CattleToday:

Paramount183

Reaction score
What is happening here? She is a heifer that is due to calf soon, she wasn't like this 2 hours ago. Any help?

Maybe one of the big guns will tell you exactly what it is, but I've seen my fair share of it, and it always seems to go down on its on.

that's a hernia...itll go away..they get a lot bigger than that...benign neglect..it can be fixed bit not worth the cost..itll go away..wait and see for the next calf

I would hazard a guess at udder edema which is common especially in heifers that are getting close to calving. If she has any dairy in her then it most likely is that. It's common in dairy heifers prior to calving. Usually it will go down in a week or so post calving. Most don't worry about it too much, sometimes if it doesn't go down after calving they will give some dex, but I wouldn't get too worried about it at this point.

Since she's a heifer I agree with udder edema. One of my girls had one and it went away. But I do have a couple older girls (10 & 11) with a similar lump and our vet said it's nothing more than fat (one clocks in over 2000 lbs).

im no vet but I don't think that's udder edema...could be..udders look fine tho . but to me it looks like a umbilical hernia likely due to the pressure of calving..either way tho the outcome is the same..itll pass on its own

dieselbeef":215idlnb said:
im no vet but I don't think that's udder edema...could be..udders look fine tho . but to me it looks like a umbilical hernia likely due to the pressure of calving..either way tho the outcome is the same..itll pass on its own
Now that you say that, that does make a lot more sense. Our cow with udder edema had an udder as hard as a rock. I am not sure as to what for shape the udder of this cow is in, but with that lump a hernia does seem more likely.

our cow that had that it went away WHILE STILL PREGNANT. if it had been hernia it would have stayed there I would think till she calved. I think the term "udder" edema is misleading to think it's actually in the udder itself.

I'll go with udder edema as well...especially being a heifer. Also agree with Jerry...too much protein, calcium and potassium intake.

Latest posts