Lump in the vaccination area

Help Support CattleToday:

C HOLLAND

Reaction score
I have 2 of my heifers that got their annual bosters a few weeks back and one of them has a small area ( where the shots were given) that looks like ring worm but is healed fine. The other one has an area that is swollen the size of hamburger bun top, just under the skin in the shot area.( LAUGH its the easiest decription I have) :lol:

??? is this common or is it something to worry about, I asked the vet and he didnt return my call.

I think I found the answer on the web for CM Gold FP5

SAFETY AND EFFICACY: In safety studies conducted with CattleMaster GOLD FP 5, no significant adverse reactions to vaccination were observed and vaccinated pregnant cattle delivered normal, healthy calves. Safety was demonstrated in prebreeding and pregnant cows in all 3 trimesters. Transient local swellings, attributable to the adjuvant formulation, were occasionally observed at the injection sites.

It's pretty common. We have one yearling that has a lump on her neck from every clostridial vaccination she's received since she was a calf Really unsightly but it doesn;t bother her any

dun

Thanks Dun

I appreciate the help, I don't know everything I need to about this but I am not afraid to ask for help when it comes to the health of my cattle.

I am very proud on how healthy my cows look compared to what I see at other farms and what's offered at sales.

C HOLLAND":2jaci5ri said:
Thanks Dun

I appreciate the help, I don't know everything I need to about this but I am not afraid to ask for help when it comes to the health of my cattle.

I am very proud on how healthy my cows look compared to what I see at other farms and what's offered at sales.

What I've seen at the sales lately...oh my gosh. It's literally criminal...animals that look as tho hide has been stretched as tight as it could be stretched over bones. I don't know how the animals were standing up. These animals look like the reports of starved animals that the sheriff's deputies have to confiscate. The humane thing would have been to shoot them. And, I don't mean one or two like this...pens full of them. Makes me sick.

I know it's been dry here and grass was grazed off a long time ago, but there's no excuse for what I've seen at the auctions. I would expect to see thin cows...but these look like holocaust survivors (and I use the word survivor lightly.)

Alice

You can lance it with a razor and spray with blue coat and it will go away in a few days. Just make sure you give it time to heal up nice. make sure you don't cut much a little goes a long way.

I have a calf that has one of those lumps. Evertime I give her a shot, she gets a knot.

LA200
wormer
vaccination (current lump)

Some cows are just like that. I will be selling her in the fall auction.

I don't like to breed "knot" heads.

The knot would need to be real bad before I would ever recommend you lance it. If you are giving shots correctly you should see some swelling. LA-200 can swell necks up bad.

I had a vet ask me if my cattle had some swelling after I vaccinated. When I said yes he told me that showed I was doing it right.

Some vaccines are alot harsher than others. I stopped using the LA 200....BioMycin for that reason. Always left obvious knots and, especially with the BioMycin the calves acted like the vaccine itself was really burning / hurting them.
Multiple sticks with same needle are big culprit too..........needles are cheap!!!

Thanks for all the replies

I thought the problem was caused from the shots, but it never hurts to ask. I also never re-use a needle, they don't cost much at all.

Latest posts