Lumber

Help Support CattleToday:

The farm was cut pretty hard before I bought it and there wasn't much wooded land to start with. I've always been told you can't build a house from sawmill lumber. Or I should say the bank wont finance a sawmill house. I had the same thought about just buying sawmill lumber I'm buying oak for .80 BF
First problem with sawmill lumber is that it would need to be stacked to dry for a year or more or it would warp bad. The exception is Hemlock lumber which is getting pretty hard to find.

The farm was cut pretty hard before I bought it and there wasn't much wooded land to start with. I've always been told you can't build a house from sawmill lumber. Or I should say the bank wont finance a sawmill house. I had the same thought about just buying sawmill lumber I'm buying oak for .80 BF
I have never heard that before as many here have built their houses out of their own timber

We started building a house back in August, I saw one of the bills for a load of 2x4s and like to fell over. What are you supposed to do? Everything is so high these days that nothing is fun anymore. I was looking at buying a fuel tank a few weeks ago and was trying to make up my mind when the vendor called and said his metal prices just went up 40% but he'd honor the quote for 2 more weeks. Maybe he was trying to make a sale, 40% though?

I have never heard that before as many here have built their houses out of their own timber
I think it also has to do with permits. Rough cut lumber from small or home mills tends to be ungraded. Without the stamp of a certified grader the lumber is not considered "structural", therefore not making building code. I don't know how our countries ever got built with all that unsafe lumber.

I think it also has to do with permits. Rough cut lumber from small or home mills tends to be ungraded. Without the stamp of a certified grader the lumber is not considered "structural", therefore not making building code. I don't know how our countries ever got built with all that unsafe lumber.

Gotcha hell that lumber that comes from lumber yards is garbage alot of the time

Strange that a few friends I have that log, say logs are worth nothing. That may be regional thing isolated to here IDK.
That is true here. Talked to a friend about 2 weeks ago who owns a large mill locally. He said the price of logs has not moved in a year even with lumber going up like it has.

When we were building our house the only thing I noticed that went up substantially was commodity lumber. Deminsional lumber and OSB was sometimes 4x the cost it had been. Everything else stayed the same. Shelving, trim, cabinets, etc didn't seem to go up much. I also noticed the quality of 2x4s kept going down as we ordered

I have seen several houses in the process of remodeling that back when they were built they have a lot of sawmill lumber.

We have a local sawmill and we also have a local person that has a kiln that can dry it too.

The prices are crazy and the quality of the lumber is terrible. Boards are twisted, cracked, not straight and I have noticed that the dimensions are not consistent.

I suppose a house could be built from rough lumber. Labor of framing would be higher, sheet rock screws would be popping and pulling. Banks may look twice before financing.

If these prices stay up I feel for the folks needing future housing. The house I grew up was regular dried sawmilled lumber.

I've built two new homes in my life. First one blew away, still living in the second. When I put all the expenses for those on a spread sheet, the lumber was small beans a percent of the total price. I'd like to see at current price for lumber, how much it's raised the cost of a home per square foot.

Latest posts