Lucky or Ken - Another Tet Question

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I acquired most of my stock as bred heifers. They came as vaccinated, wormed, etc. I have asked specifically if that includes the TT and the producer said yes. I have witnessed the vaccination in a few cases. I am going into the fourth year with this stock. I have continued to vaccinate them in accordance with my protocols which are at a minimum based on the literature with the vaccines.

With that background, here is my tetanus question. A bred heifer comes in vaccinated. But let us say she only got one dose at her initial exposure. Or second, let us say they omitted the TT vaccination. I have boostered her each year with 1 mL of TT via intramuscular injection. If her first exposure was one dose/no dose or the 2 doses were not 30 days apart like most TT vaccines require, would she now have a protective level of immunity based on the annual vaccinations?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Without a challenge exposure or testing for antibody titer(I don't know any laboratory that does this), there's no way to know for sure. But, if you have any question about status, it's best to treat the animal as a non-vaccinate and follow the recommended initial vaccination protocol, regardless of what it may or may not have had in the past.

Latest posts