Luck? I think not...

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
So, today, we just had our tenth calf this season, and guess what? It is also the TENTH BULL! What is the likely hood of that? We have another heifer that is now 10 days late, bet that one is also a bull! At this rate, our kids will need to buy show heifers for next year since their cows seem to think they need bulls! And the funny thing is, half are red and half are black, and only one red cow in the group (all black AI sires)! So 4 calves beat the odds and came out red! Too bad we don't believe in gambling. :D

With prices the way they are, I could only wish to get a slug of bulls. Last time it happened was 1997 - 4 heifers out of about 40 calves.

Make them all steers (well maybe the best keep as bulls) sell as show steers. The one's you don't sell in a couple month after weaning haul to sale barn. Roll in all your money, feel happy, and tell no one. :mrgreen:

Then I guess you will have to buy some show heifers to keep the little ladies happy. ;-)

Last year we ended up 50:50 all of the bulls wer born in the first have and all of the heifers in the second half

Just had BULL number 11 this morning, out of a heifer. Now, if I can just get her to acknowledge that she did give birth and it is hers, life will be good. She sniffs it, then looks at me like "yuck, what am I supposed to do with this?!". Gotta love heifers

Congrats on another healthy calf.
I think that when I really hope for heifers, I jinx things. I really wanted a Jersey heifer this year and got a bull calf. When we need the meat, I guarantee the cows will have heifers. Murphy's Law in action.

7 years ago, we had 1 bunch of 22 cows have all bulls, all of the others were normal, but this one herd was 100% bulls.

Longest string I've ever had was 17 in a row. That was years ago, calved a lot of cows since and never came close to it again. Even used sexed semen one year and only got 12 in a row.

odds of flipping a coin heads 10 consecutive times is 1023 to 1
21 in a row 2,097,152

By the way...
Last year I assisted a heifer in calving, laid the calf in front of her and she had absolutely no interest in her calf.
Decided as long as I had her restrained I'd bottle feed the calf colcstrum, started milking her by hand into the bottle
while the calf was laying in front of her and within a few minutes she completely fell in love with that calf.
My theory is the oxytocin released when the udder is stimulated and causes a cow to let down their milk is the same chemical reaction that causes her maternal instincts to kick in and fall in love with their calves.
My guess is heifers are more likely to get worked up during or after calving which releases adrenaline and blocks oxytocin from reaching the brain.

I've never tried it, but it has crossed my mind to give heifers like that a 2-3cc shot of oxytocin and pen her with her calf to see if my theory has any merit.
IF anyone has ever tried it or wants to, I'd be interested in their results.

Well, the heifer seems to love her calf, she moos gently at him and wants to know where he is at all the time, but she still refuses to let him nurse that we can tell (he was born Saturday morning). At least three times a day we go out there, get the calf up (if he is not already), and he runs to her udder. When he attempts to latch on, she kicks up at him and switches her tail. At that point, we approach and scratch her pins or tail head area, and she just sits there licking her lips. He latches on and starts sucking. After several minutes, in most cases, you can walk away and she will continue to allow him to nurse. But if I had to bet, I would say he only nurses when we assist. I hope in a few days when he gets strong that he becomes a bit more aggressive about pursuing her to allow him to nurse. That way I will not have to get my fingers dirty and stand around for 10 minutes scratching when I could be feeding or cleaning!

How full/tight is her udder? I've seen that happen wit heifers who's udder was sensitive from being really full. Usually after a time she would realize that the nursing helps and would let them nurse with no problems

Dun
She does not seem huge by any means, but I think that is the problem. She just has to be worked into it. Today, same thing. I doubt he is eating between our visits (today at 7:30 and 1), because when he sees me come in, he jumps up and runs to her udder. She just kicks him away, and he looks between her front legs then. Once I get behind her and start to scratch, he moves back to her udder and goes to town. She flicks her tail at us, but allows him to eat. If I walk away once he is latched on and going good, she is fine UNLESS he punches her udder, then she flicks her tail and walks away from him. I am sure she will get over it, I just want to make sure he is nursing on his own before I stop assisting. I think once her production levels out, she will get used to it and it will be no big thing. She just seems super sensitive about it...
Here is a pic taken yesterday afternoon of her and her calf...
minty_2013.jpg

Son of Butch":2ux0jrmq said:
I've never tried it, but it has crossed my mind to give heifers like that a 2-3cc shot of oxytocin and pen her with her calf to see if my theory has any merit.
IF anyone has ever tried it or wants to, I'd be interested in their results.

Didn't anyone tell you that you can't find love in a bottle? :p But seriously probably not, there is no evidence in any other species of such I've seen, or in cattle that have recieved it to clear the uterus. As you've said, you may see increased milk let down along with uterine contraction. Which may or may not be of benefit.

Used to use oxytocin in the farrowing barn a lot supposed to cause the smooth muscle's to relax quickley. Started to use it in the calving shed,mostly on heifers and usually after a pull,to relax the uteraus and get a fast milk flow. We still think it is usefull. Don't have a vet around much,so just go on with things as best we can!

Having received Oxytocin myownself, I can tell you that it does not relax the muscles. It stimulates labor contractions.

How much Oxytocin do you give a heifer or cow after birthing? I've used it in dogs a lot, but not cattle... Thanks

Bringing this tread back up reminded me, we had a heifer a week ago! The cow in this thread is doing great, no assistance needed, and her calf is fat and strong. I think she just had pain at nursing, and reflected that on her calf when nursing. As soon as her udder fill leveled out, she stopped being a pain. Gotta love first calf heifers!

Gotta love workable cattle... The ones that like their tail scratched... sure beats putting them in a headgate 3 times a day. Good to hear all is well

Latest posts