Lowline crosses

Help Support CattleToday:

T Diamond

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has every crossed anything with a lowline X. I crossed my Chi/Angus cow with a Lowline/SH. I ended up with a heifer. She was small at birth but 2 months she was weighing in at 180#. Her half brother who is out of a MaineX bull weighed in at 110# the year before. She is so bulky if you didn't know any better you would think she was a bull calf. She is not very tall just thick. My question is what can I expect from her in the future as a breeding heifer? I do know I will have to breed her with a smaller bull the first time, but after that what can I breed her with?

Thanks,

If I understood your post correctly, this heifer is
25% Chi
25% Angus
25% Shorthorn
25% Lowline

There is a huge variation in the size of her ancestors and which genes she might express. Definitely breed for calving ease on the first calf. Then see how big she matures and decide from there.

your results will mainly be determined by how prepotent the bull you use is.

get some mainstream outcrossed heterozygous bull, and you will end up with a heinz 57. the first thing i would have to ask is: what was your plan? before you will be happy with the results of breeding, you need to know where you are going and map out a road to get there.

it sounds like you went on a joy ride and didnt really have a destination or path in mind.

I have a neighbor who has started to raise grass fed beef using Lowline x grade Angus. The calves are real thick and do well on pasture. He asked if I am interested in buying some of his heifers for replacements.

Any thoughts on the mature cow size and performance of this cross?

Latest posts