Lowline Angus dairy cross conclusion

Help Support CattleToday:

zendog

Reaction score
A while ago, I asked if a dairy farmer would consider inseminating his dairy cows with Lowline Angus semen. My object was to get smaller half Lowline Angus beef cows at less cost than getting them from Lowline stock. I thought a dairy farmer might be interested because so many dairy calves sell for very low cost.

Posters on this list were VERY discouraging of the idea. Here is what happened:

First, I decided against this idea. Partly because you folks were SO negative to the idea, but mostly because I really did not want dairy characteristics in my beef cows. I know they taste great, but I really did not want to see a bunch of boney hipped Angus cows running around in my pasture.

Second, The first dairy farmer I talked to said he would probably do it for the right price. He raises Jerseys and he had crossed with full sized Angus in the past. The Lowlines, he thought, would be as good or better. I also found there are enough Angus Jersey crosses around that the have an informal name: Jangus.

Finally, I found some part Lowline stock that I could afford and I am now owner of a herd three 1/2 Lowline Angus cows with 3/4 Lowline Angus bulls at their side. See the pictures at:

http://gallery.mac.com/zendog3#100139

Thanks for your help.

took a look at your cows Zendog and i hope that you have wormed them and are putting them on grass and grain cause they shouldn't be that skinny they look like they have been starved. They should not look dairy cows and should be filled out a lot more in their guts and hips. Hope they work out for you.

The calves look really good... cows desperately need to be wormed and have a good mineral put in front of them. Esp the cow in the pic on the top left.

Hi Just took a look at your photos. I agree with everyone else here your cows (& calves) need putting on a wormimg program for 6 to 12 months. In 6mths time you won't know them, post some before & after photos once their condition has picked up.
I hope you don't mind but I've added a photo of mine showing you what our Aussie Lowline x Jersey looks like she is in a herd of 150 & is 1 of about 12 that we bred & milked.
IMGP0236.JPG

Latest posts