lowering standards

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
While doing some reading on the upcoming officer Noor shooting trial I came across some surprising information.
Since 2012 the Minneapolis police department has dropped 4 of the 5 psychological tests recommended by federal
guidelines best standards practices. The reason given is the tests were screening out and disqualifying too many
minorities from becoming police officers. Leading them to start the fast track program for minorities from which
officer Noor graduated.

987 people were shot and killed by police officers in the usa in 2017.... (2.7 per day)
247 of the victims (25%) suffered from some form of mental illness, leaving 760 supposedly rational people dead.
2,875 people were shot and killed by police in the 3 years from 2015-2017 for an average of 958 per year.

Seems like a lot and many more than I would have guessed that actually died from being shot by police in America.
I did not come across any stats on how many total were shot or survival rates, only how many were shot dead.
I'm sure that must take up a lot of extra time just doing the paperwork.

edited to correct:
Digging closer into the statistics those were the numbers of all causes attributed to police by all means, not just
shootings, although that was by far the majority with traffic accidents 2nd.

Would have bet the farm that there would be no more than 30 to 50 national police killings in a year.

I worked with armed federal agents on rare occasions and they all had a fear of being pulled over by local or state police. All had procedures to inform the police they were armed agents. One told me he got into a conflict with a "County Mounty" in eastern Kentucky because the armed federal agent insisted that the County officer disarm him. He said he was not taking any chance of a trigger happy county police officer shooting him.

Son of Butch":nahbbsrs said:
Since 2012 the Minneapolis police department has dropped 4 of the 5 psychological tests recommended by federal
guidelines best standards practices. The reason given is the tests were screening out and disqualifying too many
minorities from becoming police officers.

You have me guessing what the one test is.

Would have bet the farm that there would be no more than 30 to 50 national police killings in a year.

stat2017.jpg

Bright Raven":2ch7csgo said:
greybeard":2ch7csgo said:

stat2017.jpg

Thank you for posting that. It is amazing the number of people shot to death by the police.

I hadn't thought about that much, until a year or two ago with the protesting over shootings. Since then I have been surprised by the frequency of it happing around the state.

I'd like to see a graph showing how many needed killing and another one showing how many needed killing that weren't. And another showing how many people resist arrest each month. With this data I think I would be able to see if the old saying about playing stupid games and you win silly prizes is true.

Tho it is in line with population demographics, it runs contrary to some of the social media hype, that about twice as many whites as blacks were shot & killed by police, and most (all races/demographic) were older than what people usually think.
Age 18-29=298
Age 30-44=371
Age 45 and older=257
(the remainder were either under 18 (28) or 'unknown' (33).

(I would have liked to see the 18-29 group broken down into 18-25 (relatively young and dumber) and 25-29 (should be more mature by that age).
Other 'stats' available here:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 ... age-group/

Including:
by_weapon.jpg

Jogeephus":b35b5723 said:
I'd like to see a graph showing how many needed killing and another one showing how many needed killing that weren't. And another showing how many people resist arrest each month. With this data I think I would be able to see if the old saying about playing stupid games and you win silly prizes is true.
Perhaps Los Angeles Police Chief Beck (maybe he is retired now) could head up a task force to answer that for you Jo.
Stupid games, but no prizes awarded..except the $4.2 million payout the City's taxpayers had to shell out to "make it all go away".
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2511683
"Just a little more training, that's all they need".

GO5MKM47KOONT7HJ35YABRBPFY.jpg

Only by the Grace of uknowwho and poor marksmanship are the 2 innocent women alive today.

Jogeephus":1rcat4e1 said:

How about the number of unarmed people shot not by cops...

I'd like to see a breakdown of % of shootings demographics done by 'minority' cops, but that would be racist.
Both the infamous Mpls. shootings were by minority cops, not to mention the infamous dog wagging tail shooting.

sim.-ang.king":mq7gogmz said:
Jogeephus":mq7gogmz said:

How about the number of unarmed people shot not by cops...
http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/past-tolls

https://s9.postimg.cc/bsvrw1fbj/all2017.jpg

greybeard":1nl5oy27 said:

stat2017.jpg

I find these numbers spectacularly low when weighed against a population of more than 324 million in 2017. 987 out of 327,000,000+. Especially when considering the minimal training requirements for many small town police forces, major drug infestations of urban and rural areas, and the genuine "anti-blue" sentiment being promulgated in the media. I am shocked these numbers arent significantly higher.

bball":1bv909qp said:
greybeard":1bv909qp said:

stat2017.jpg

I find these numbers spectacularly low when weighed against a population of more than 324 million in 2017. 987 out of 327,000,000+. Especially when considering the minimal training requirements for many small town police forces, major drug infestations of urban and rural areas, and the genuine "anti-blue" sentiment being promulgated in the media. I am shocked these numbers arent significantly higher.

Yep, as my nephew said, 'it's a target rich environment out there'.

greybeard":1ehdwyfk said:
Jogeephus":1ehdwyfk said:
Perhaps Los Angeles Police Chief Beck (maybe he is retired now) could head up a task force to answer that for you Jo.
Stupid games, but no prizes awarded..except the $4.2 million payout the City's taxpayers had to shell out to "make it all go away".

Only by the Grace of uknowwho and poor marksmanship are the 2 innocent women alive today.

Saw that on the news. Bad deal. People are human and humans make mistakes. Only time someone doesn't screw up is when they aren't doing their jobs. Percentage of stuff like this happening is extremely rare. I'd be willing to bet more people are killed each year by dimwhitts texting while driving.

Quick google search shows 9 people per day are killed due to "distracted driving" in the U. S. on average. On average, 3285 people per year at the current daily rate.

Jogeephus":7emsdwhk said:
Suicide by cop. I suspect more frequent than any data or statistics would show.

Jogeephus":2gqr3d1w said:
greybeard":2gqr3d1w said:
Jogeephus":2gqr3d1w said:

Saw that on the news. Bad deal. People are human and humans make mistakes. Only time someone doesn't screw up is when they aren't doing their jobs. Percentage of stuff like this happening is extremely rare. I'd be willing to bet more people are killed each year by dimwhitts texting while driving.

Yep, and sometimes they make stupid mistakes but are awarded no stupid prizes for it.
Comparing the # of times something like this happens to the # of times anything else happens (especially something completely unrelated) is just a diversion from the fact that it did happen. More people are also killed by any number of things, including dying in their sleep but they're still dead, so what's the real point?

greybeard":2c26istd said:
Yep, and sometimes they make stupid mistakes but are awarded no stupid prizes for it.
Comparing the # of times something like this happens to the # of times anything else happens (especially something completely unrelated) is just a diversion from the fact that it did happen. More people are also killed by any number of things, including dying in their sleep but they're still dead, so what's the real point?

The point is no matter how you slice it death is death and mistakes are mistakes and with the number of daily interactions the police have with people the number of mistakes are very low in my view and I think they police do a pretty good job considering some of the trash they have to deal with.

and I think they police do a pretty good job considering some of the trash they have to deal with.
As do I. A very high % of our policemen and women are professional, dedicated individuals. A very few are not.

But, I'm not much on trying to rationalize poor behavior.......it's 'supposed' to have consequences, no matter who ya are.

Latest posts