Low Sodium Diet

Help Support CattleToday:

grannysoo

Reaction score
Anyone around these parts on a low sodium diet? I've been paying attention to the rda of sodium in the diet, and it looks virtually impossible to achieve.

Seems that anything good has high levels of sodium. I could probably eat the rda of sodium in 3 or 4 bites of food. Most all snacks, cheese, all processed/canned foods, soy sauce, etc. are loaded with sodium.

The only good flavor enhancers I have found that are low in sodium are olive oil & worcestershire sauce.

I've been on the Heart Healthy diet, and the high fiber diet, (still on that one), but salt is everywhere. I don't salt my food, except for watermelon, but I can imagine it sucks. Ever tried low sodium soup? Nasty nasty nasty. Low sodium crackers aren't bad. Any processed foods are going to have very high levels as will soft drinks.

grannysoo":3m8xm8yb said:
Anyone around these parts on a low sodium diet? I've been paying attention to the rda of sodium in the diet, and it looks virtually impossible to achieve.

Seems that anything good has high levels of sodium. I could probably eat the rda of sodium in 3 or 4 bites of food. Most all snacks, cheese, all processed/canned foods, soy sauce, etc. are loaded with sodium.

The only good flavor enhancers I have found that are low in sodium are olive oil & worcestershire sauce.

Why are you trying to limit salt consumption?

HerefordSire":3pnaib43 said:
Why are you trying to limit salt consumption?

The boss is having bp problems. She's cut out caffeine, which appears to have solved most of the problems, but testing different things to see what helps. I'd like to keep the ole' girl around for a few more years.

I am not advocating one way or another...

SALT AND BLOOD PRESSURE:
CONVENTIONAL WISDOM RECONSIDERED
DAVID A. FREEDMAN
University of California, Berkeley
DIANA B. PETITTI
Kaiser Permanente Southern California

The "salt hypothesis" is that higher levels of salt in the diet lead to higher levels
of blood pressure, increasing the risk of cardiovascular disease. Intersalt, a cross-
sectional study of salt levels and blood pressures in 52 populations, is often cited to
support the salt hypothesis, but the data are somewhat contradictory. Four of the
populations (Kenya, Papua, and two Indian tribes in Brazil) do have low levels of
salt and blood pressure. Across the other 48 populations, however, blood pressures
go down as salt levels go up—contradicting the hypothesis. Experimental evidence
suggests that the effect of a large reduction in salt intake on blood pressure is modest,
and health consequences remain to be determined. Funding agencies and medical
journals have taken a stronger position favoring the salt hypothesis than is warranted,
raising questions about the interaction between the policy process and science.

http://www.stat.berkeley.edu/~census/573.pdf

This is a very good article behind the link at the bottom...

· Salt is a strong natural antihistamine

· Salt is vital for the kidneys to clear excess acidity and pass the acidity into the urine

· Salt is essential in the treatment of emotional and affective disorders

· Salt is most effective in stabilizing irregular heartbeats and contrary to the misconception that it causes high blood pressure, it is actually essential for the regulation of blood pressure – in conjunction with water

· A low-salt diet with high water intake will, in some people, actually cause the blood pressure to rise

· One or two glasses of water and some salt – a little of it on the tongue – will quickly and effectively quiet a racing and "thumping" heart. And in the long run, will reduce blood pressure, and cure breathlessness

· Salt is vital for sleep regulation

· Salt is a vitally needed element in the treatment of diabetics. It helps balance the sugar levels in the blood and reduces the need for insulin

· Salt is vital for the absorption of food particles through the intestinal tract

· Salt is vital for clearing the lungs of mucus plugs and sticky phlegm, particularly in asthma, emphysema and cystic fibrosis sufferers

· Salt on the tongue will stop persistent dry coughs

· Salt is essential for the prevention of muscle cramps

· Salt is vital for the prevention of gout and gouty arthritis

· Salt is vital in preventing excess saliva production to the point that it flows out of the mouth during sleep

· Osteoporosis, in a major way, is the result of salt and water shortage in the body

· Salt is absolutely vital to making the structure of bones firm

· Salt is vital for reducing a double chin

· Salt is vital for maintaining sexuality and libido · Salt taken before exercise will increase the lung's capacity to breath, and it will also decrease excess sweating

http://www.watercure2.org/interesting_facts.htm

HerefordSire":shx0yeql said:
I am not advocating one way or another...

SALT AND BLOOD PRESSURE:
CONVENTIONAL WISDOM RECONSIDERED
DAVID A. FREEDMAN
University of California, Berkeley
DIANA B. PETITTI
Kaiser Permanente Southern California

The "salt hypothesis" is that higher levels of salt in the diet lead to higher levels
of blood pressure, increasing the risk of cardiovascular disease. Intersalt, a cross-
sectional study of salt levels and blood pressures in 52 populations, is often cited to
support the salt hypothesis, but the data are somewhat contradictory. Four of the
populations (Kenya, Papua, and two Indian tribes in Brazil) do have low levels of
salt and blood pressure. Across the other 48 populations, however, blood pressures
go down as salt levels go up—contradicting the hypothesis. Experimental evidence
suggests that the effect of a large reduction in salt intake on blood pressure is modest,
and health consequences remain to be determined. Funding agencies and medical
journals have taken a stronger position favoring the salt hypothesis than is warranted,
raising questions about the interaction between the policy process and science.

http://www.stat.berkeley.edu/~census/573.pdf

This is a very good article behind the link at the bottom...

· Salt is a strong natural antihistamine

· Salt is vital for the kidneys to clear excess acidity and pass the acidity into the urine

· Salt is essential in the treatment of emotional and affective disorders

· Salt is most effective in stabilizing irregular heartbeats and contrary to the misconception that it causes high blood pressure, it is actually essential for the regulation of blood pressure – in conjunction with water

· A low-salt diet with high water intake will, in some people, actually cause the blood pressure to rise

· One or two glasses of water and some salt – a little of it on the tongue – will quickly and effectively quiet a racing and "thumping" heart. And in the long run, will reduce blood pressure, and cure breathlessness

· Salt is vital for sleep regulation

· Salt is a vitally needed element in the treatment of diabetics. It helps balance the sugar levels in the blood and reduces the need for insulin

· Salt is vital for the absorption of food particles through the intestinal tract

· Salt is vital for clearing the lungs of mucus plugs and sticky phlegm, particularly in asthma, emphysema and cystic fibrosis sufferers

· Salt on the tongue will stop persistent dry coughs

· Salt is essential for the prevention of muscle cramps

· Salt is vital for the prevention of gout and gouty arthritis

· Salt is vital in preventing excess saliva production to the point that it flows out of the mouth during sleep

· Osteoporosis, in a major way, is the result of salt and water shortage in the body

· Salt is absolutely vital to making the structure of bones firm

· Salt is vital for reducing a double chin

· Salt is vital for maintaining sexuality and libido · Salt taken before exercise will increase the lung's capacity to breath, and it will also decrease excess sweating

http://www.watercure2.org/interesting_facts.htm
That's what I'm talking about !! :banana:

Usually much more than salt involved in high blood pressure. The body needs a certain amount of sodium. Not a huge amount but has to have some. At one time it was more precious than gold. One friend had very high colesterol. All he did was change from Bud Light to Miller Lite and in 6 months his colesterol went down about 100 points. Course I don't like Miller lite.

grannysoo said:

The only good flavor enhancers I have found that are low in sodium are olive oil & worcestershire sauce.[
/quote]

Yeah I am on a low sodium diet since I am trying to control my blood pressure. With the new meds, a new stint and a low fat and low sodium diet I have lost @15 pounds and lowered my blood pressure. My dietician has recommended 2000mg of sodium or less daily and I am not having a problem staying under that. Of course that means I don't drink soft drinks as much, nor do I eat salty snacks and of course no salt on food but by watching what I cook with and by using spices I really am getting by the craving of salt. I am always looking for new low fat/low salt recipe ideas just to change things up.

I am not a fan of salt, I think it takes from flavor rather than adds to it and once you get used to the salt intake you really should have, you will enjoy your food more, not less. Vegetables will takes better as well as meat. I also use only sea salt when I cook and it is minimal. Hubby was diagnosed with high blood pressure 4 years ago and that was the day salt went away in our home. I also watch carefully all labels when I buy from a store.

There are a lot more spices and herbs that are actually good for you and add to flavor out there than salt. Like I said once you get used to less salt in your diet you will wonder what the heck you were thinking before. I also make most food that we eat from scratch using fresh veggies and other ingredients which helps as well.

If salt is even minisculely linked to add to high blood pressure then I will reduce it , I would rather not risk anything when it concerns my husbands heath and well being.

Yes, you do need sodium to survive and function properly, especially menopausal women on premrim(sp?) ;but you would be surprised at how little we actually need compared to how much is consumed.

TexasBred":7zgqwbai said:
Usually much more than salt involved in high blood pressure. The body needs a certain amount of sodium. Not a huge amount but has to have some. At one time it was more precious than gold. One friend had very high colesterol. All he did was change from Bud Light to Miller Lite and in 6 months his colesterol went down about 100 points. Course I don't like Miller lite.

Granny picked up a book a few weeks ago at Barnes & Noble that was titled something like "Eat This, Not That".

Interesting read. Talks about different brands and why this one was better than that one based upon a variety of things. It recommended bud over bud light!

I'll have to find it to see what it said.

I know that beer of any kind raises my bp quick, however whiskey does not. Seems that a cold beer is becoming a luxury for me now. And dang it, that stuff is good!

grannysoo":1m78woh7 said:
TexasBred":1m78woh7 said:

Granny picked up a book a few weeks ago at Barnes & Noble that was titled something like "Eat This, Not That".

Interesting read. Talks about different brands and why this one was better than that one based upon a variety of things. It recommended bud over bud light!

I'll have to find it to see what it said.

I know that beer of any kind raises my bp quick, however whiskey does not. Seems that a cold beer is becoming a luxury for me now. And dang it, that stuff is good!
Beer is fine but----Liquor's quicker !!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts