Low Milk production solutions

Help Support CattleToday:

cdnvanguard

Reaction score
Hey gang,

First time posting on here, but I've been following the forums a great deal. So I think you can help me out here.

My question is this. With some of my heifers and some of my better calvers. I've noticed a poor turnout in milk production. Small udder etc etc.

Is there any product/drug out there that you can either feed or inject into a heifer/cow to increase their milk production?

This has been a pretty bad year for low milk output in a couple of animals, which in turn is making sicker and smaller calves. I know this is sometimes the case with heifers, but I am still wondering if their is a way to help them increase milk production.

Thanks for all your help

Cdnvanguard
Manitoba, Canada

cdnvanguard":2ki23pxf said:
Hey gang,

First time posting on here, but I've been following the forums a great deal. So I think you can help me out here.

My question is this. With some of my heifers and some of my better calvers. I've noticed a poor turnout in milk production. Small udder etc etc.

Is there any product/drug out there that you can either feed or inject into a heifer/cow to increase their milk production?

This has been a pretty bad year for low milk output in a couple of animals, which in turn is making sicker and smaller calves. I know this is sometimes the case with heifers, but I am still wondering if their is a way to help them increase milk production.

Thanks for all your help

Cdnvanguard
Manitoba, Canada

Feed?

Always important. When was the last time you had yours analyzed? Grass / hay / grain / mineral / health or vaccination protocol / and so on.

Asked a veterinarian yet?

Drugs? Bad idea except when medically required.

Genetics my friend - you breed milk into your herd.

Anything that underperforms this year - sell it and use the cash to replace them.

Bez>

My heifer kinda had the same problem you are having. The vet gave us a series of 4 shots (im pretty sure) and I believe it was called oxycodin (spelling/ it's been 4 months), its pretty standard.

Bez- After reading many of your posts, I've come to the conclusion that if the boarder ever opens up you'd be my first pick for buying cattle. However, for me atleast, it's just the beginning, so Im going to have these problems. In 10 yrs, if I had the same problem that I do now, she'd be gone. But for now she stays because its either her or nothing.

I'll just have to be more wise in my breeding choices.

CPL":2oev3ta1 said:
My heifer kinda had the same problem you are having. The vet gave us a series of 4 shots (im pretty sure) and I believe it was called oxycodin (spelling/ it's been 4 months), its pretty standard.

Bez- After reading many of your posts, I've come to the conclusion that if the boarder ever opens up you'd be my first pick for buying cattle. However, for me atleast, it's just the beginning, so Im going to have these problems. In 10 yrs, if I had the same problem that I do now, she'd be gone. But for now she stays because its either her or nothing.

Oxytocin doesn't "make milk" - it only makes the heifer/cow "let down" what she already has in her udder.

In a healthy cow or heifer I only know of 2 wasy to increase milk. Genetics and nutrition.

dun

cowvet":2arwzpkv said:
CPL":2arwzpkv said:

Oxytocin doesn't "make milk" - it only makes the heifer/cow "let down" what she already has in her udder.

Exactly, and I think after a time the stuff is addicting where if you do not give it, they won't let their milk down at all. My Vet says alot of people by the stuff by the cases, but really in the long run its not worth it.

What about the growth hormone?

GMN

CPL":81x892qy said:
Bez- After reading many of your posts, I've come to the conclusion that if the boarder ever opens up you'd be my first pick for buying cattle.

Thanks - but in the end I am not smarter than anyone else - I used to think like many on this board - until we nearly went down due to BSE.

Many here know my story and supported me despite my very near bancruptcy and loss of the home place.

Now it is a business - nothing more and nothing less.

They produce or they go. You need to think like that as a small producer because in the end it will improve your herd, cost you less and make you more.

I would suggest you toss yours and the calf if it is still alive and kicking. Use the cash to replace it with a good animal.

Have a good one.

Bez>

Absolutely.. if you want good producing cows, you'll have to cull for milk production. Some breeds seem to have more problems with lower production than others. I can't remember ever culling a Simmental for that, but I have culled Limousin for low production.

Latest posts