Low line or a calf had a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

dburkhart

Reaction score
Wow! This is definitely a first for us. Bought what we were told was a 475 pound black heifer calf on Thursday. Scouring when we picked her up at the sale barn and then quit eating today. Was straining when we went into check on her (she is quarantined right now). Thought she was dehydrated from the scours so prepared an electrolyte solution to tube her. Went back into the barn and started to get her up when we noticed two hooves and a nose! Couldn't believe it! :shock: It will most likely die within the day because we have it pegged as only about 7 months old--some fur but no teeth. Buyer beware :frowns: Darn lowlines!

Actually, she had no problem with it. We don't know too much about these miniature cattle so not sure what is normal for them. Calf felt like about 40 pounds. We raise red angus (normal size) so we will be contacting the sale barn on Monday. The production sale was the next day so I am sure this was a mix up.

A 7 month old calf wouldn't be alive if it were born that early... dun posted a list of developmental stages once and I think the calf can't survive if it's more than 3-4 weeks early? maybe. Anyone know where that's at?

Good thing the calf's only about 40lbs... you probably wouldn't have a live heifer if it weren't. Picture?

milkmaid":1tdm9l69 said:
A 7 month old calf wouldn't be alive if it were born that early... dun posted a list of developmental stages once and I think the calf can't survive if it's more than 3-4 weeks early? maybe. Anyone know where that's at?
Here it is:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44910

dburkhart":29296z71 said:
Buyer beware :frowns: Darn lowlines!

I don't have "lowlines" and have no intention of having them, but if you will look at the May/June 2008 issue of "Hobby Farms", you will see an in depth article on them. Seems that some people love them.

We don't raise Lowlines but do raise small Belted Galloways. We are trying to develop a line of 'full miniatures' 42 inches or less at maturity. Our last two calves were a 19 inch 26 pound heifer born to a third time mother. Couldn't ask for a healthier calf. Mother is the ugliest cow we have (I call her Lumpy), daughter is one of the nicest. The latest, a heifer born April 15th, is about 21-22 inches and about 30-35 pounds. Very active and healthy.

Last year our 44 inch bull got to some of a tenant's commercial Angus cows. Despite their being 14-18 inches taller than him he did his duty. Ironically the owner says the calves are of normal size and growth.

No reasons Lowlines or other small breeds shouldn't be just as healthy as any other cattle. Just accept that 'things happen', even in the land of giants.

Sure you want to give her back? Some people get quite a bit of money for Lowlines - though may be a bit of a racket.

She didn't come with any papers so I doubt she is registered. She is a cute little thing but I am afraid my bull would break her back. I wished I knew some 4-Hrs'--she is very docile.

Latest posts