Low BW Hereford Sires

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":38yi5ywc said:
iowa hawkeyes":38yi5ywc said:
We had good luck with Ribeye

Looked him up on ABS. Why do you use him rather than Domino 3027 or Harland on black heifers for possible replacements?

I wouldn't, I'd go for 3027, but from what I've heard Harland sires top females. There is nothing that draws me to Rib Eye, the calves posted on some Argentinian semen sales site is anything but flattering.

KNERSIE":2s3suxb9 said:
I wouldn't, I'd go for 3027, but from what I've heard Harland sires top females. There is nothing that draws me to Rib Eye, the calves posted on some Argentinian semen sales site is anything but flattering.

Harland looks longer than 3047... What does top females mean to you?

Stocker Steve":1cx3xr50 said:
KNERSIE":1cx3xr50 said:

Harland looks longer than 3047... What does top females mean to you?

What it means to me is hopefully what it also means to those who rave about his daughters, fertile, milky, deep, good doing, broody types. Harland supposedly don't sire much pigment, if that is at all a consideration to you.

I bred over 100 1st calf heifers to TH 122 711 Victor 719t(P42800895) that have started to hit the ground, and I could not be more pleased. He has a minus birth wt with a 66 weaning wt. which is very rare in the Hereford breed.

Topp herefords sold 27 of his yearling sons yesterday in their bull sale and they averaged over $11,000 each. Genex handels the semen sales at around $25 or $30 per straw. You can also buy sexed semen on him.

You can see him on www.topphereford.com or
www.nelsonlandandcattle.com

I like his photo. I like most of the names I see in his pedigree. I love his EPDs. Then I click on the pic of his dam and I am underwhelmed (and Topps has a lot of impressive Moma cows).

http://www.toppherefords.com/hereford-c ... nette-122/

She looks fine boned, a little too straight in her shoulder structure, and I don't like the way her udder is attached. Not a "bad" Hereford cow by any stretch but not one I would expect to see a major herd sire out of. Am I missing her that badly?? She clearly is out producing my expectations. Do you have pics of her as a younger cow??? Tell me where I am wrong.

You are right on with the visual look of his dam. I think Topp shipped her after she weaned off 19T.However I have about 30 of his daughters that are unbelievable that we are going to breed this Spring. There were 9 half brothers out of the same sire that averaged over $9,000 at the sale on Monday. His Mother was a 19D who is one of the best female sires in the breed.

we bought a Robin Hood son out of Tundra's full sister in the same sale as 619T sold, he was my top pick but didn't have the dough to chase him beyond 6k, think he brought 13k? I think Topp's have done a good job breeding better udders, calving ease and type. Really like the look of the lot 17 bull, a 619T that was the spitting image of his daddy, what did he bring? btw. our rh son has done a nice job making both baldie steers and heifers, haven't been able to keep any for ourselves yet though.....

The lot 17 brought a mere $135,000. I think there were about 3 different syndicates all after the same 19 T son.

We've used Profciient from ABS for sevreal years and really like the calves. They're not spectacular, but none of our calves are. They average right in with the Red Angus calves but a little lighter then the Simmenthal and Gelbvieh sired calves. Don;t know about daughters, maybe we'll get a heifer this year but the last 2 were all bull calves.

Brandonm22":1eysuudk said:
I like his photo. I like most of the names I see in his pedigree. I love his EPDs. Then I click on the pic of his dam and I am underwhelmed (and Topps has a lot of impressive Moma cows).

http://www.toppherefords.com/hereford-c ... nette-122/

She looks fine boned, a little too straight in her shoulder structure, and I don't like the way her udder is attached. Not a "bad" Hereford cow by any stretch but not one I would expect to see a major herd sire out of. Am I missing her that badly?? She clearly is out producing my expectations. Do you have pics of her as a younger cow??? Tell me where I am wrong.

I too am looking into 719T at the moment and as much as I like his photo, I hate his video. The cow is typical of the era, and not the same type as 719T. You sometimes get cows that just keep outproducing themselves, I also have a few of those.

KNERSIE":r3ii48xp said:
The cow is typical of the era, and not the same type as 719T. You sometimes get cows that just keep outproducing themselves, I also have a few of those.

There are a lot of impressive looking donor cows who have been flushed repeatedly without ever producing anything close to a top herd sire prospect......Kelly Schaff had a pretty well repeated rant about those kind of cows about 18 months ago. It is hard to knock a cow that IS getting it done.

Still, to me this young sire is one of those where I would rather wait to see what his 2-3 year old daughters look like before making a decision on him one way or the other.

cowtex":1ll9mstz said:
You are right on with the visual look of his dam. I think Topp shipped her after she weaned off 19T.However I have about 30 of his daughters that are unbelievable that we are going to breed this Spring. There were 9 half brothers out of the same sire that averaged over $9,000 at the sale on Monday. His Mother was a 19D who is one of the best female sires in the breed.

Acually 19D in the pedigree of 719T has held me back from using him. I used 19D a few years ago with the idea that he was a great female producer and he just hasn't worked for me. I had several with a disposition problem. Several that where just to frail made and hard doing and a couple had pelvic issues that needed help for calving. Not my idea of a great female producer. Udders were actually very good though. I should have known better when the people that raised him never used him.

I am not saying that at some point I won't use 719T. If they get proved out to not have those problems I would consider it. I am a little concerned about the IMF on him too.

Brian do you have a picture of the bull we've been discussing-there should be daughters calving this year shouldn't there.

I hope to get some new pictures in the very near future when weather warms up a bit of him and a couple other herd bulls. The first daughters will start calving in about a month. I don't have a lot of them though.

Progress is a great bull, his daughters are absolutely beautiful, good uddered, deep, soggy, and moderate framed. Kevin Schultz owns the bull, you can buy semen through ABS. I believe it is $20-25 a straw.

I don't know a lot about the 3027 bull personally. I have heard people talk about his daughters as well, but I haven't seen them. Kevin Schultz thought enough of the bull to buy a son of his to use on a set of females. I would assume that trying both bulls would be a good way to go, you will get some horns with progress if bred to the right/wrong cows (depends on how you look at it).

smnherf":15a3j129 said:
cowtex":15a3j129 said:

Acually 19D in the pedigree of 719T has held me back from using him. I used 19D a few years ago with the idea that he was a great female producer and he just hasn't worked for me. I had several with a disposition problem. Several that where just to frail made and hard doing and a couple had pelvic issues that needed help for calving. Not my idea of a great female producer. Udders were actually very good though. I should have known better when the people that raised him never used him.

I am not saying that at some point I won't use 719T. If they get proved out to not have those problems I would consider it. I am a little concerned about the IMF on him too.

My only experience with a 19D daughter wasn't a good one either - and it has caused me to discount a number of cattle, like 719T, because of it. It's funny how prejudices like that get so easily "locked in" when you've had a bad experience.

George

I think at one time 19D had more females reg. in the Hereford Assoc. than any bull in the country. We have had really good luck with his daughters and grand daughters. Gary Buchloz in Texas has made a living on selling heifers from a 19D daughter, the Breeze cow over the past several years.

19T will have his 3rd set of calves on the ground this spring. So far his daughters have been pretty special. We bought 30 of his 2010 daughters last fall and will be breeding them in April to a Tundra son and a Tank son.

Latest posts