low birth weight bull

Help Support CattleToday:

daniel.carver

Reaction score
Hi everyone, :?:
My question is, I have 7 heiffers around 9months old. so in 7 to 9 months they'll be old enought to breed. Right?

Main question is (i'll get there) that most of these are limo/angus crosses. I have been reading on the boards on low birth weight. When choosing a bull I need a low BW number & a high calving ease number. Right?

Next, is that it seems on here that a Hereford bull would be good on first time heiffers. Right? Dun, I have been reading my storey's book, great source of info, Thanks.

I would like to use a red angus bull, but I don't want to chance it. Any suggestions from you all would be appreciated. I really don't want to lose any. :help:

Thanks Dan

Gelbvieh would go great on them .

Calving ease is best and if you can get them checked before hand (pelvic circumference ) will give you a better idea.

I would use a high accuracy calving ease bull not necessarily low birth weight, if your gals are good they will be fine.

If you want to use a red angus then use a red angus. Most all breeds have some calving ease bulls, even herfords. Dun uses red angus and there is some more red angus breeders on here that can help you out. You can always use a Limi.

If your are looking to use AI, about the easiest calving bull around is Above&Beyond from ABS. Natural service it gets tricker for the simple reason that young bulls have no acuracy since they don;t have offspring yet.

Red Bull Breeder":11fvur9y said:
If you want to use a red angus then use a red angus. Most all breeds have some calving ease bulls, even herfords. Dun uses red angus and there is some more red angus breeders on here that can help you out. You can always use a Limi.
Great Advice !

You will do well to go to a Red Angus breeder with a good reputation, been doing it for a while. He will have good records and will do his best to get you into a good calving ease bull.

daniel.carver":2x4qz0jj said:
Hi everyone, :?:
My question is, I have 7 heiffers around 9months old. so in 7 to 9 months they'll be old enought to breed. Right?

Main question is (i'll get there) that most of these are limo/angus crosses. I have been reading on the boards on low birth weight. When choosing a bull I need a low BW number & a high calving ease number. Right?

Next, is that it seems on here that a Hereford bull would be good on first time heiffers. Right? Dun, I have been reading my storey's book, great source of info, Thanks.

I would like to use a red angus bull, but I don't want to chance it. Any suggestions from you all would be appreciated. I really don't want to lose any. :help:

Thanks Dan

Yes, low BW number, high calving ease number.

You can find calving ease bulls within many breeds today, but don't discount Red or black Angus just because there are more Herefords being talked about on these boards. I'll put a link below to the across breed EPDs from MARC. You can use it to compare individual bulls of different breeds.

My suggestion is to talk to the person who will be doing your AI work. He may have lots of experience with calving ease bulls and be able to recommend a specific bull for you. Plus he'll be able to see the heifers in person.

MARC Across Breed EPDs: http://www.ars.usda.gov/sp2UserFiles/Pl ... 08News.pdf

Shoulders make a difference. A block shouldered bull won't gain you a lot with a lower birthweight versus a smooth shouldered bull.

The brangus I am now running has the smallest calves of any I have ever owned and they are all smooth shouldered too. I haven't lost a calf in 22 months now.

Thanks to all for your responses.
I have thought about AI, But I talked to a vet about a year ago about AI. He didn't seem to think it would be worth while. (I guess to him) Seeing how I only have ten cows. At that time he said that it would not be cost efficent. What do you all think? Surely it would be cheaper than spending one to two thousand on a bull. Right?
Any way there is a Angus ranch in Diamond MO. Dinamite Ranch. I think I'll make a visit in the next few weeks to ck it out. Their always advertising in the big nickle.
Thanks for the chart also. I'm going to take it along.
Again, thanks for the info. Dan :D

I am always a little afraid of Herefords on frist time heifers, reguardless of low birth weight bulls, because of the large heads.... If I was you I would look to my friends, other cattle people and see if I could lease a bull from them, 250$ to 300$ would be a fair price on either a 3 mo or year lease...I do not try to breed at 15 mo or 750 lbs. like most, in fact most of my cattle breed at 24 mo. it not all about money to me (I love My cows)... and they taste good also...

Alftn, you love your cattle? NICE :clap: No need to breed heifers at 24 months. If you got good cattle 15 months will work out well. Not breed heifers to Hereford :???: Kind of a strange comment. :roll:
AND 750 pounds at 15 months :help: Time to re evaluate you critters. :compute:

hillsdown":2yrkq0wx said:
if you can get them checked before hand (pelvic circumference ) will give you a better idea.

Very good advice. For some folks this is not practicle or possible, but for those who can have it done, it is well worth it.

They do it with all the heifers every year where I work.

Katherine

Hello to all,
alftn,
If I have understood this correctly, A heifer can be bred as long as it reaches 2 ys of age before calving. I have read this many times on this board. Storey's, pg 137, potential to weigh 750 to 800 lbs at breeding age (15 months). pg 139, "Heifers should be breed at about 15 months of age, to calve the next year as two year olds". I am no expert, I rely on the mentors in C.T. boards and learning through cattle books such as the Storey's guide to raising beef cattle. And a few knowlegable friends. I AM STILL LEARNING! With that said I LOVE ALL MY COWS, & ya'll will think this is funny, but their all named, but Margret is the only one tht knows her name. LOL. I appreciate everyones advice & help here on C.T. It's a fantastic place to learn & share experiences. I wish I worked days so that we could all meet at the cafe for coffee & biscuts to talk cattle. But it would have to be a BIG CAFE.
Again thank to all, Dan :D

Latest posts