Love of Money over Principle

Help Support CattleToday:

Sounds like your hands are kind of tied in this issue. I don't know about Georgia but in Okla. the land owner is the one who has to file charges, even if you have the hunting rights leased and catch someone trespassing land owner has to be willing to press charges. That is the way it was just a few years ago. I don't lease out or lease in so law may have changed but I don't think it has.

This guy might be willing to sell (to you)? He certainly doesn't act like an owner. Oh, and you have a lovely tolerant wife. So leave his wife to suffer. Explain to him that you'll plant the place in pines, which will suck up tons of carbon. Then plant peanuts. I love my salted peanuts.

BRYANT":12grk86w said:
Sounds like your hands are kind of tied in this issue. I don't know about Georgia but in Okla. the land owner is the one who has to file charges, even if you have the hunting rights leased and catch someone trespassing land owner has to be willing to press charges. That is the way it was just a few years ago. I don't lease out or lease in so law may have changed but I don't think it has.

You are right. Its frustrating when he hires you to turn the place around but he won't follow good reason. I lease a lot of land to hunters and have a waiting list of good people looking for land to lease and it just baffles me why he would reward a poacher like this.

Law is about the same here but to remedy this, our contracts grants the authority to the club to file charges on trespassers and poachers and the landowner doesn't have to be involved. Dealing with hunters and poachers on a regular basis there isn't much I haven't seen and I know this is just going to be a problem but you can only lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

john250":o09k834f said:
This guy might be willing to sell (to you)? He certainly doesn't act like an owner. Oh, and you have a lovely tolerant wife. So leave his wife to suffer. Explain to him that you'll plant the place in pines, which will suck up tons of carbon. Then plant peanuts. I love my salted peanuts.

I don't think I'd want to own it. You see he has a rental house on the property he rents to a hoarder. He's proud of the $600/year the guy pays him because its cash! You should see all the shyt this guy has drug up on the property. It'll cost at least ten times this to remove it all assuming the government doesn't first fine him for running a nonpermitted garbage dump.

Maybe boss man is just giving the guy every opportunity. Wonder if that would sway a judge if he does take him to court? Something like " I even offered to lease it to the guy and he still continued to trespass". Just a thought.

I look forward to hunting season every year, then I get to thinking about the poachers and people problems. And it kinda takes the wind out of my sails.

Jogeephus":1ny7h02o said:
D2Cat":1ny7h02o said:
Do like bball said, tell him he's too late, it's already leased.

You pay the lease fee the landowner wants. Then you can lease it to who you want at what ever fee you choose. Then you're in control.

That wouldn't be ethical on my part. Good idea though but my job is to represent the landowner and not myself. Just think what he might think if he learned I subleased his property. He'd be pizzed. I know I would.

This is very common practice here. I have two grazing leases that I also have hunting leased.
I sublease the hunting. It's completely transparent and I mark up the hunting to cover the time spent checking and managing hunters..
Since most conflicts occur between the cattleman and the hunters it works very well.

A little tip to anyone leasing a place to hunters. Try to find a group that's not to local.
It solves the problem of them running the pasture every weekend

I have a friend that was on a lease a few years ago that was quite a ways away. The landowner insisted that he be notified when any of the hunters planned to be there. My buddy stopped by unannounced one day and found out why the owner wanted it that way. He was day-leasing the place, and putting other hunters out in the renters stands on their corn.

:hat: Maybe the Lord does take care of lost sheep. Hehe.

I have owned this farm for 15 years. Bought it for cash in 2001 while living in Montana. I let the guy I bought it from continue to run cattle on it. His only obligation was to keep the pastures mowed and oversee it.

Never had poachers or trespasers. The only problem I had was with him! He over-stocked it. Never mowed pasture. And when I returned, he would not get his cattle off. I am very easy going but he and I had a horrible conversation on the phone one night when HE was drunk and I was on my second glass of wine. He dropped the MF word on me. I don't know why but pulling my mom into it upset me. I responded that I would put a bullet through his head and I did not limit it to behind the ear. It did work. He got his cows off the next day. 8)

Some people's children eh Inyati? I look after my brother's property here, (he lives in Arkansas) my sister's property on the South of me, and now 17 acres I sold to a weekend resident that lives and works in Houston. I see anyone on any of their property, I call the sheriff or constable, and they haul 'em in for at least simple trespass, and I've never had to file the charge myself--the jurisdiction does that. If I just ran them off like we used to do, they'd be back or be on one of the neighbor's places the next week. About 8 years ago, I lost a welder and air compressor and a hundred feet of 10/3 wire because I let one go on his own accord.

callmefence":3lkeea59 said:
Jogeephus":3lkeea59 said:
D2Cat":3lkeea59 said:
Do like bball said, tell him he's too late, it's already leased.

You pay the lease fee the landowner wants. Then you can lease it to who you want at what ever fee you choose. Then you're in control.

That wouldn't be ethical on my part. Good idea though but my job is to represent the landowner and not myself. Just think what he might think if he learned I subleased his property. He'd be pizzed. I know I would.

This is very common practice here. I have two grazing leases that I also have hunting leased.
I sublease the hunting. It's completely transparent and I mark up the hunting to cover the time spent checking and managing hunters..
Since most conflicts occur between the cattleman and the hunters it works very well.

A little tip to anyone leasing a place to hunters. Try to find a group that's not to local.
It solves the problem of them running the pasture every weekend

I can see the reasoning in your doing that and it is done here between farmers and landowners to some extent. It keeps the primary renter in control so if the hunters act up they stand to get booted but this situation is different. This would be more like me hiring you to fence my property and then you turning around and subbing the job to your competition and just making a bird dog fee off the job. I don't know many people who would be very happy with that situation.

True Grit Farms":2itmx7v9 said:
I look forward to hunting season every year, then I get to thinking about the poachers and people problems. And it kinda takes the wind out of my sails.

Same here. I'm convinced that some hunters are kept in a box all year then come hunting season someone shakes the box up and turns them loose. Some of the complaints I hear are just mind boggling. Like a bunch of children. I had one poacher harrow up about a half acre of one of my hayfields then build a tree house in a tree in the hayfield. I took an escavator with a finger and plucked the tree out of the field and toted it to the property line and dumped it on the property he was supposed to be hunting on. He then erected a tower stand on the edge of my hayfield. A bale of hay somehow crushed this thing. Haven't had any more problems with this guy.

Jogeephus":29c54ffl said:
True Grit Farms":29c54ffl said:

Same here. I'm convinced that some hunters are kept in a box all year then come hunting season someone shakes the box up and turns them loose. Some of the complaints I hear are just mind boggling. Like a bunch of children. I had one poacher harrow up about a half acre of one of my hayfields then build a tree house in a tree in the hayfield. I took an escavator with a finger and plucked the tree out of the field and toted it to the property line and dumped it on the property he was supposed to be hunting on. He then erected a tower stand on the edge of my hayfield. A bale of hay somehow crushed this thing. Haven't had any more problems with this guy.

Most hunters live in town and don't own their own property. Or if they do they come there for hunting purposes only. They don't respect farming or the land. Enter Battlefield 1942, Cabela's Trophy Hunters, and all the video games that teach that shooting and killing is just a game and needs to be done without a second thought. Don't get me wrong I love hunting (typically go deer - rifle hunting each year) but a lot of hunters out there act like immature idiots. The worst are the urban county license plates but some of our local rural county people aren't great either. It's like hunting season is playing a video game in the woods.

I can say most of the hunters I deal with are pretty decent sportsmen but there are a few memorable ones that you will never forget. Had one, out of state hunter, who shows up in his new F250 diesel all decked out with the big mud tires pulling a trailer with his new four wheeler so he could make the 100 yard ride off the road to his deer stand. He parked in the road and we couldn't get a cotton picker by it so we finally roused him out of the woods to move his truck and trailer. We told him we would be back by in an hour or so and asked if he wouldn't block the road. He didn't listen. Blocked the road and we had to get him out of the woods a second time only this time he backed his truck into the ditch and got stuck. He then started cussing us. One of the guys had a bait of him and hooked his truck to the mowing tractor and pulled him out of the ditch across the road, through another ditch and into a field and left him there fuming. His hunting privileges were shortly suspended.

The hay bale approach gets my vote. You never can tell what those things will do. :cowboy:

Yeah, its amazing how the wind can catch one of those round rolls just right and send it flying. :secret:

SJB":2evhmark said:
Jo - did you tell the boss you thought it was a bad idea?

Yeah. Never been good at keeping my mouth shut and I'm getting worse each year.

Jogephus, it seems like you asked yourself the question? Is dealing with the BS worth the money you are getting to manage the land for a guy who has shown no interest in backing you up as his manager?

Illegal hunters cost farmers a fortune here every year. City kids drop each other off in the cane fields where they tear up the rows leave mountains of beer cans. You can spot them a mile away. Brand new shiny four wheelers, hunting outfits that cost more than my whole wardrobe, and they are scared to go more than 1/4 mile from the road.

We have the local winos and drunks roaming the woods during pecan season. They will steal just enough pecans to go buy another bottle of booze. You can put a bullet between my eyes if I ever hire one of them to work my pecan harvest. Your boss leases that land to that person and the stealing will only consume more and more of your time.

JWBrahman":372vjxjd said:
Jogephus, it seems like you asked yourself the question? Is dealing with the BS worth the money you are getting to manage the land for a guy who has shown no interest in backing you up as his manager?

Illegal hunters cost farmers a fortune here every year. City kids drop each other off in the cane fields where they tear up the rows leave mountains of beer cans. You can spot them a mile away. Brand new shiny four wheelers, hunting outfits that cost more than my whole wardrobe, and they are scared to go more than 1/4 mile from the road.

We have the local winos and drunks roaming the woods during pecan season. They will steal just enough pecans to go buy another bottle of booze. You can put a bullet between my eyes if I ever hire one of them to work my pecan harvest. Your boss leases that land to that person and the stealing will only consume more and more of your time.

I agree 100% but I have to give this guy a little leeway because I've just started working for him and he may just need a little "training" so to speak. I have already blown his mind at some of the things that has been going on during his absence so maybe he will come around and see my recommendations are in his best interest. If not, don't need the headache and we can part ways because he came to me and I didn't come to him.