Louisiana to Colorado

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Ryan's post got me thinking. This year our whole family is going to visit my brother in Colorado Springs,CO for vacation the last week of May. I was planning on driving west accross Texas on I-10 then make a right and go north just pass El Paso through New Mexico into Colorado on I-25. On the way back I was going to head out east on I-70 into Kansas, then south through Oklahoma, Dallas and back home to Louisiana.

Anyone know of anything that might be fun for the family along this route? No Chevy Chase Vacations please; I really don't want to see the world's largest ball of twine. :lol2:

Thanks in advance!

Anything in Amarillo TX including the feedyards nearby, short drive south, and the Big Texan Steakhouse. Pikes Peak and Seven Falls, just outside of Colorado Springs. Oklahoma City Stockyards (largest in the US).

We tried to go to Pike's Peak a few years ago but it was so foggy you couldn't see the frigging mountain, the cliff dwellings across the road were neat. Another place I'd highly recommend is Estes Park, just north of Fort Collins. Well worth the drive. And the stock market in Ft. Collins is pretty cool. Wasn't very impressed with the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame, kind of boring.

I've been to Colorado Springs and Denver quite a bit (for business not with the family), so once there we'll be going to Pike's peak, Garden of the God's, and all of the other normal attractions. I was looking for something along the way - or way back , to stop and do to break up the long trip. With three kids, one being a 4 year old boy, someone's liable to die from that much van exposure.

cypressfarms":1gy03gvl said:
Ryan's post got me thinking. This year our whole family is going to visit my brother in Colorado Springs,CO for vacation the last week of May. I was planning on driving west accross Texas on I-10 then make a right and go north just pass El Paso through New Mexico into Colorado on I-25. On the way back I was going to head out east on I-70 into Kansas, then south through Oklahoma, Dallas and back home to Louisiana.

Anyone know of anything that might be fun for the family along this route? No Chevy Chase Vacations please; I really don't want to see the world's largest ball of twine. :lol2:

Thanks in advance!

Cypress I doubt that Van time will be a problem, once you cross the Sabine the wow factor will just make the trip majestic. ;-)

I don't know how out of the way it would be, but if you have never been to Mesa Verde, it is really cool.

Caustic Burno":18d8n6fo said:
cypressfarms":18d8n6fo said:

Thanks in advance!

Cypress I doubt that Van time will be a problem, once you cross the Sabine the wow factor will just make the trip majestic. ;-)

Caustic, that is one of the truest statements I have ever seen on these boards :D

I'm not sure how out of the way it would be, or how 4-year-old-friendly it is, but Carlsbad Caverns is a pretty interesting place in Carlsbad, NM

Ryan

Oklahom City has a National Cowboy and Western heritage Museum. (AAA discount) They have a really nice kids center about half way through and they have a big building that is set up like an old town. Don't forget to stop by Drydesdale western store in Tulsa, some good stuff to buy there;) And Miami has that Mcdonalds that goes over the turn pike...it's always been kinda dirty so don't eat there...just stop for the experience.
Kansas City has some kind of Ag museum, but I've never been there. That's about all I can think of for now ;-)

Since your going to be around Colo Springs area, just south of there are the Great Sand Dunes, that are an awesome site to see; along with the Garden of the Gods, which was mentioned. Also, if you have kids and they are school aged, Focus on the Family has a great place to visit with all kinds of things for the kids to do that is like an indoor museum for kids. I'm sure your brother can give you some places to go see also.
As far as traveling back across western Kansas... its beautiful farmland mostly. And if the tornado a few years ago didnt wipe it out; Greensburg used to have the deepest hand dug well (dug way back in the 1800's) and also the largest meteorite on display there. Like I said, the tornado may have wiped it all out though. Of course, a stop in Dodge City, and visit the old town there is pretty cool too.

cypressfarms":1j5n0o5u said:
I've been to Colorado Springs and Denver quite a bit (for business not with the family), so once there we'll be going to Pike's peak, Garden of the God's, and all of the other normal attractions. I was looking for something along the way - or way back , to stop and do to break up the long trip. With three kids, one being a 4 year old boy, someone's liable to die from that much van exposure.
who is going todo the killing on the long van ride you or the 4yr old :lol: im betting seeing the sites will keep him happy an looking out the window.

bigbull338":3k240w0d said:
cypressfarms":3k240w0d said:
who is going todo the killing on the long van ride you or the 4yr old :lol: im betting seeing the sites will keep him happy an looking out the window.

These are well traveled kids. Every year we pile them in and go on a family vacation. We've been to Flowida too many times to count, to San Antonio a couple of times, Forth Worth/Dallas, Austin, Galveston before Ike, all along the Florida/Alabama coast. Although I-10 isn't the quickest way there, I thought it would be intersting to see swamp, rangeland, desert and mountains while going through Texas. Then again, we have a dvd player in the van, so they may just watch movies a good bit.

As to your question Big bull, the 4 year old will definitely do the killing just by his sheer ability to agravate everyone in the family if he is not happy. On these vacations I give in a lot to do what they want to do - it might as well be something they'll remember and like.

San Antonio has "Fiesta Texas" and "SeaWorld"...west of SA stop in a Fredericksburg for the day.. Farther west Sonora is a small community but has a beautiful cavern to visit. Takes about an hour and a half. Once past Sonora, keep the tank full and lots of water in the car. There ain't much there til Ft. Stockton. Might want to take along plenty of CD's as well as radio and cell phone reception is non existant at times especially in part of New Mexico.

There is absolutely nothing in kansas worth seeing , trust me. If you have time take a loop thru southern colorado , Durango , take a trip up south park , thru wolf creek pass , some of the most beautiful country you'll ever see. It's still cold in May , not greened up yet either in the mountains but a lot to see. My advice is to just haul a$$ thru all the plains ground and spend your time in the mountains !

TexasBred":117scpse said:
San Antonio has "Fiesta Texas" and "SeaWorld"...west of SA stop in a Fredericksburg for the day.. Farther west Sonora is a small community but has a beautiful cavern to visit. Takes about an hour and a half. Once past Sonora, keep the tank full and lots of water in the car. There ain't much there til Ft. Stockton. Might want to take along plenty of CD's as well as radio and cell phone reception is non existant at times especially in part of New Mexico.

Couple of things once you get past Fredericksburg if you drive 70mph you will get the paint on that van wrinked by the vehicles blowing by you, secondly you better watch for deer they are thicker than fleas. Texas Bred ain't kidding about filling the tank either you are not in La. any longer Dorothy.

Latest posts