Lots of pictures (dial-up beware)

Help Support CattleToday:

I wonder what for responses you would have if they had to come help you feed in the dead of winter. I just bet you would have some people here backtracking. Me I could come next summer, ya that would work, next summer.

Wow, i like colorado! A handy small bale collector. Never seen one before. Do you use roundbalers?

user1":1k4581wy said:
I wonder what for responses you would have if they had to come help you feed in the dead of winter. I just bet you would have some people here backtracking. Me I could come next summer, ya that would work, next summer.

I've had the privilege of visiting Ned's place - in the middle of summer. Ned's a great guy , has a great family, great cattle, and the scenery in the valley is about as close to heaven as I could imagine.

After several orations from me about what a LUCKY guy Ned was and how he was living MY dream of ranching in the Rockies, Ned showed me his calving barn.

Realizing that Ned calved in early March, when the temps there can be well below zero, sobered me up a bit. Then Ned told me that his "dream" was to actually have hot running water in his calving barn in the winter. He didn't at that time. Having helped a few cows calve in Texas when the temperatures were sub-freezing, I can only imagine how COLD your hands must feel after helping out a cow in that kind of weather.

Ranching in the summer Texas heat suddenly didn't seem so bad!

George

capt":2jdzvh03 said:
Regarding Motherly Love, I am not too sure, but I can't help but think that those 'flies' on her face are freckles of pigment. Awesome pics, Ned Jr. as always.

Thanks capt. Been a long time since I've seen you on here. Great to have you back.

Australian":3ukuycok said:
What part of Colorado are these mountains?
Thanks Colin

Sorry I'm so slow answering you. They're a little south and east of the center of the state. 3-4 hours from Denver.

P.A.L":2wtb44r1 said:
Wow, i like colorado! A handy small bale collector. Never seen one before. Do you use roundbalers?
We put all our hay up in small squares. Selling horse hay is our main business and back yard horse people seem to prefer them. Besides I've heard round bales are bad for cattle and horses because they need a square meal. :D

Ned Jr.":2viwzoi1 said:
P.A.L":2viwzoi1 said:
We put all our hay up in small squares. Selling horse hay is our main business and back yard horse people seem to prefer them. Besides I've heard round bales are bad for cattle and horses because they need a square meal. :D
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :nod:

brandonm_13":39k2d7zw said:
Great photos, especially the two bulls. Were they play fighting, or was it about to break loose?

Hey brandonm_13, I thought you lived in Alabama. Did you move to Tennessee?

Those bulls weren't playing. I'm not sure who won but I know they were awfully tired when they finally broke. They both headed straight for the water with their tongues hanging out.

Ned Jr.":3ee3vfc9 said:
Onthebit":3ee3vfc9 said:
Merry Christmas to you too! I love the 'Motherly Love' pic...photoshop the flys off her face and send it in for money!

Thanks. Those aren't fly they're freckles

HAH! I looked back at it 3 times and now they are finally looking like freckles! lol

Nice pictures of some great cattle and beautiful scenery! I thought the 7 bucks that I shared my hay field with last year were something but those Colorado deer are better! It's not too hard to remember to be grateful when we can look out at scenery like this. Good job.

Herefords.US":s6prkp98 said:
user1":s6prkp98 said:

I've had the privilege of visiting Ned's place - in the middle of summer. Ned's a great guy , has a great family, great cattle, and the scenery in the valley is about as close to heaven as I could imagine.

After several orations from me about what a LUCKY guy Ned was and how he was living MY dream of ranching in the Rockies, Ned showed me his calving barn.

Realizing that Ned calved in early March, when the temps there can be well below zero, sobered me up a bit. Then Ned told me that his "dream" was to actually have hot running water in his calving barn in the winter. He didn't at that time. Having helped a few cows calve in Texas when the temperatures were sub-freezing, I can only imagine how COLD your hands must feel after helping out a cow in that kind of weather.

Ranching in the summer Texas heat suddenly didn't seem so bad!

George

Thanks George, I hope you can stop in for a visit again someday. :D BTW I still don't have any hot water in the calving barn. :(