Lots of MOOSES

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
I understand that mooses isn't a word. 1 or more are all still moose. Last night I saw 5 in one alfalfa field. 2 Bulls and a cow with twins. Goofy critters and ornery as well. I wish i had a picture.

Maybe I will be so lucky on my moose hunt trip the last week of September in northern Ontario. Even if we aren't lucky on the moose, there is always walleye and northern fishing to compensate.

I was fishing in the same spot friday night and saw six this time. I followed a cow and calf (moose) through a trail in the brush. It was always good to hear them moving ahead.

How big are the moose, beef11? From what I've seen in pictures they're bigger than the average beef cow. Bet they can eat up some alfalfa.

They don't weigh as much as a beef cow but they are taller than most horses. They are all leg for sure with a big goofy head. I would guess them at 16-18 hands and 700-1000 lbs these are the shiras variety.

Just a word of advice if you see a moommy moose with a cute baby moose get the heck out of there. They are a pretty dangerous critter-I wouldn't underestimate them. When the hair comes up on their back and the ears go back it's game on.

And dont ever practice call. Example the rut is soon starting. Dont issue a challenge call to a bull just to see if it works when you dont have a liceance. Haha Really about the dumbest thing I ever did. I had the gun but not the liceance but if I would have shot it nobody would have believed the story. Really dumb move on my part.
The bull was a couple of hundred yards away. I issued the call. He just looked at me. Was getting dark so I started heading for the truck. Next thing I knew he was galloping to me.
He stoped about 25yards from me(I was yelling at him). He was all wild eyed and stiff leged, swaying back and forth.
Everytime I took a slow step backwards he would take a step towards me. Took forever to get back to the truck. Actually got dark before I got away from him.
Dumbest thing I ever did.
When their in the rut their almost blind and they are super dumb. I couldnt believe that I couldnt convince him that I wasnt a moose.
Then the next week I went way up north moose hunting where I had a tag and I ended up walking a hundred miles before I got a moose and I shot the first one I seen.

Practice call huh...rut huh... I going to try that. That might get him in close enough to rope. I steer clear of the cows usually but lately moose have been everywhere. Six together is alot of mooses.

ps will yall come visit me in the hospital (only if my tree climbing skills aren't what they used to be).

When I was backing away from the moose it took about 20 minutes to get from the meadow to the timber. Once in the timber it was completely dark and I ran. But every now and then I would stop and listen for bullwinkle. No trouble hearing him coming. Smash, bang crack! him coming behind me through the timber.
That moose followed me the whole 3/4 hour out to my truck.
BTW I had a single shot rifle. If I would have fired a warning shot and if he would have charged I could not have reloaded in time. When it was dark I couldnt have shot him if I wanted to.
About roping.
A local outfitter by the name of Charlie Russel (not the Painter from MT). Charlie roped an Elk that was stuck in a mud bog. He roped it around the horns by doubling a rope so he could release the elk as soon as it was free of the bog. Long story short, after the elk was out of the bog with no rope on it the bull charged his horse. Close call the way Charlie told it!

My buddy had elk in his haystack so he was sleeping on top of it in order to run them off. Anyway a moose came in and they hollered at him and he wasn't bothered by them. So they got out a 410 pistol and shot him in the paddle. I imagine it gave him (moose) a headache. He left.

I found a big moose paddle (shed) on saturday while scouting for elk. It was along ways from my afore mentioned mooses so i doubt they were related.