lots of cows going to the sale around here

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
no rain since July. I sent a couple trailer loads last week and the sale went to 4 in the morning. they announced this week they will go two days until the dumping tapers off. prices down about 20% from last year, which is I suppose the kind of news where you think "could be worse" but not much!

Really hate to hear of anyone having no choice but to sell.
yeah, I saw some some good cows and heifers go through. I'm kind of taking the opportunity to cull heavy. may not be much new feed until April or May when the mesquites leaf out. I still have grass but a lot of it is from last year. planning to dump about a quarter to a third of the herd. been keeping too many over the last couple of years anyway.

even though there hasn't been any rain they all look great, makes it really hard to ship them.

Sorry to hear you are so dry. Sounds like it may spread...

Some increased culling here too. Mostly because income over feed cost has been down for cow calf.

Harlan evaluated some drought scenarios in the October issue of Beef mag. I don't agree with all of his assumptions, but it is still useful. Main point was around the long term income effects of culling and restocking choices. Did you see it?

I hate that for those of you that haven't had rain. It sucks being forced to sell good cows.

I hope something good can come out of it for you.

I listened to a story earlier this week about how dry it was over there and that under a 1940's agreement, Mexico is sharing their water with the US. (The Mexican farmers are none too happy about it either)