Lot line questioning

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
New people bought the house next to ours, decided to tear down an old dog kennel and put up a newer bigger, blah, blah, blah.... seen this as I came home from work yesterday. I wonder if they even considered the lot line. Old kennel was grandfathered in before the 10' variance law took effect, which was directly on the lot line.

Now, my feeling is, if they would of come talk to me or hubby, saying, we want to replace the kennel, would you mind if we put it in the same place as the old one. I would of said sure, under one condition. Make the kennel side that faces my house a solid fence, so I have a bit of a sound barrier from the dogs barking (non-stop). The kennel is on the back side of a shed, so they have the shed as a barrier for their house, (convenient). We were mowing and doing usual spring clean-up as 1st mow of the year, and by the time we got to that side of the property, they had all the material laying out in our yard, and went in the house and left everything lay. Kinda burned me.

Is this normal? Or should I be contacting someone? Of course this property was in place before the required "certified" survey, and would cost me upwards of $1200 to have it done now.

Whats your opinion?

Michele

Contact whoever you need to contact and spend the $1200.00 and force them to do it right. You will never regret your move nor the $1200.00.

Ain't neighbors great? I was dragging down the fields last week and discovered one neighbor has taken up golf, too lazy to pick up his balls. Same one that complains about the "cow-poop" smell. These are the worst kind of neighbors: family. :(

cfpinz

la4angus":ikshhmx4 said:
Contact whoever you need to contact and spend the $1200.00 and force them to do it right. You will never regret your move nor the $1200.00.

Lloyd that's what I have been thinking, but was wondering if I would be going at it the wrong way. I try to be a neighborly person, but I just get a feeling from these neighbors that they are not.... if that makes sense...

Michele

cfpinz":2gtgc5hi said:
Same one that complains about the "cow-poop" smell.

cfpinz

I was taught that that is the smell of money :D

mitchwi":1zeygn76 said:
I try to be a neighborly person, but I just get a feeling from these neighbors that they are not.... if that makes sense...

Michele

All the more reason to take Lloyd's advice. If you can afford the $1200 or so that it takes, that sounds like the way to go.

Listen to your "gut".

Katherine

I think I would try to talk to them first, if that doesn't work then I would call whoever I needed to call, but at least I would know I tried to rectify the problem in a neighborly fashion. I know I would prefer to have a neighbor talk to me first, rather than just calling in the big dogs. Just my thoughts.

Maybe they aren't aware of the 10' easement that is required? If they recently purchased their property, they should have a recent survey. Aren't the corners marked?

I would talk with them first also.. you may be paying $$ for something they already have. And they may just be ignorant!

We had the golf ball problem, we modified a potato gun and mysteriously, a window got broken in the guys house and I haven't had anymore golf ball problems!

I would also talk to them first and explain your past concerns with the other tenant. If that doesn't work than go to the land development office at the county offices and make a complaint see if you can have someone come out and look at it. If they are good neighbors and want to work with you it shouldn't be a problem, if not, let the war begin... no need to save bridges. I had a real pain in the rear neighbor for a few years but he did help me to decide to find a secluded area to move to.

Alan

Definitely talk to them first...

"Catch more flies with honey than vinegar"

Also, you can be the "nice" guy and volunteer a written "permission" to them while they own the property if they slipped a little over their boundary into yours... then if they sell, you can have it removed... since they wouldn't have adopted the easement right from you for not saying anything...

...fabulous times we live in.

Latest posts