Lost the first one of the season

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbillycwo

Reaction score
Had a nice Red angus heofer loose her calf last night. Born dead after a hard pull. Calf was between 70 and 74 pounds. Just the head presented normally but no legs and James could only get one leg out. he said the cow toloerated everything real well and never got upset in the chutte. She even ate some feed while the vet was removing the calf. Vet thinks calf was already dead and he couldn't find any damage to the cow. Gave her an epidural and a long lasting Pen shot. !40 dollars later at midnight and the work is just beginning. My son had picked her out of the herd for his and so now he has decided to get a baby to graft onto her. She is gentle so it may just work. I told him to skin out the dead calf and place that hide on the new one that may help the cow take it. Thoughts on the skinning idea?

Skinning is the best approach for a "quick sale" but I've only used it when the cow lost her calf after it had already nursed. Did you let momma tend to the dead calf so she's got some attachment to the calf/scent?

Yes we did left the calf in the pen with her. If it works it is money I also told my son to rub the new calf with the after birth. This trick is something I read on here so I thought I would give it a go. Son has the next four days off and we are keeping the cow in the working pen. She likes being spoiled anyway. James said she really has a nice bag and I would like to see how she does. This heifer let another suck her when they were being raised but hasn't done it since I sold the sneak sucker. Probably should have shipped her too. We will see. Guess it is all a bit of a gamble that can drive you... :banana:

Good luck on the grafting. Make sure if you are buying a calf off your ranch it is healthy. Go to someone who vaccinates and has a good herd health program. I'm always scared to bring in scours or something worse. One that has drank from a cow is good.
One of the only times we grafted was when we had a heifer lose her calf and we got a dairy steer from down the road. Let him in with her and she tried to push him away, he kept going. She turned and tried to run, he pursued her. She tried to jump out of the corral, he saw that as an opportunity to get in there and eat. That cow had no hope, she had to give in. If all calves were like that grafting would be so muc easier.

hillbillycwo":3m8i1y1c said:
Yes we did left the calf in the pen with her. If it works it is money I also told my son to rub the new calf with the after birth. This trick is something I read on here so I thought I would give it a go. Son has the next four days off and we are keeping the cow in the working pen. She likes being spoiled anyway. James said she really has a nice bag and I would like to see how she does. This heifer let another suck her when they were being raised but hasn't done it since I sold the sneak sucker. Probably should have shipped her too. We will see. Guess it is all a bit of a gamble that can drive you... :banana:

There is a product call O no Mo that you sprinke on the graft calf. Spray it down with water and then sprinkle that on. It works like a charm. Also if you can milk her out and get some of her milk in the graft she smells it on him and that helps a bunch. Be patient it can take several days and if you can catch her head and let it suck that is a good thing.

i have never tryed O no Mo but i used calf scent and it was worthless.i bet you have success as long as u be patient and persistent,the calm cow will help a bunch.

piedmontese":29n9pdgj said:
i have never tryed O no Mo but i used calf scent and it was worthless.i bet you have success as long as u be patient and persistent,the calm cow will help a bunch.
I have used it along with a half dozen other products of the same general type. None of them worked at all. Molasses worked as well as the other stuff and it was a bunch cheaper. We only tried ity on one cow and it was her own calf that she decided needed to be dead.

piedmontese":29coh8d6 said:

We grafted 5 calves in 4 years ant it worked every time. I would milk the cow rub some of her milk on the calf and then sprinkle it on. If I couldn't do that I just used water. I like it, I think it works. Just sayin.

3waycross":3n2pw59k said:
piedmontese":3n2pw59k said:

We grafted 5 calves in 4 years ant it worked every time. I would milk the cow rub some of her milk on the calf and then sprinkle it on. If I couldn't do that I just used water. I like it, I think it works. Just sayin.
If you ever get doewn in this neck of the woods I'll give you the stuff that I have if I haven;t already pitched it. I had heard so much good about it that's why I gave it a shot.

Appears she has taken the calf. it never appears hungry and sucks just fine when my son is checking on them. Guess he does this for comfort and the heifer lets him. Appears successful so far. No scours or any other issues apparent but we are keeping close eye on the pair.

Latest posts